LCD

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

LCD

Postby boilermaker » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:45 am

to all
I think it might be time to remind any new buyers to keep the LCD panel covered in any (some hopes here) hot sunshine. MZ replaced my whole console free but took 3 months to do it. Anyone with this problem from now on may not be so lucky.
boilermaker

Re: LCD

Postby johnny2tents » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 am

Yep, has happened to me on the ST recently and I had to pay! Had 5 days of brilliant weather in Scotland at the end of June and the LCD started to go black when the temperature dropped. Strangely it sometimes cleared in strong sunlight/warmth, but I got a replacement. Fortunately Grahams had one in stock and Ian said that they had replaced 3 units all on ST models. (one in Yeovil?) Could not source a separate LCD separately, but am still investigating options. (it's just like a bigger mobile display which can be bought for peanuts) The original unit had a batch/date number something like xxxx/2002 and the replacement was xxxx/2004. Allegedly there was a bad batch! Anyway I think it is a good precaution to cover the instrument panel when parked. Also I heard that some early rev/speedo clock glasses were prone to crack. German aftermarket website is listing empty instrument cluster cases (with glass but no LCD) for Euro 55.
Apart from that the bike has run faultlessly in the 10K this year so far and the engine has a 100+K feel to it. Also I follow Boilermakers recomendations, and always carry spare relays and a pencil coil.
At a MZ meet at Dent (Cumbria) recently, a chap seeing the SF and ST came over to chat.
He apparantly worked with the 1000 engine design team in Switzerland, and said that the design brief was for a motor for muliple applications, light aircraft/motorcycles/jet skis etc. He mentioned the Jetski brand Polaris? which I have not followed up yet. Of interest was the fact that design brief was to include a supercharger, so that would be an interesting thread to follow up! Maybe the engine internals were designed to cope with 150+ bhp?
Anyway had a slide off recently on diesel, so have more mundane things to sort out just now!
Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:34 am

yes cover the lcd displays
lost one in a ham radio hand held in the 1990's left it on seat of car face up
and a gps in 2005 mounted on dash of rt125 face up on a bright hot day
and do see if your car is vented as heat may be the problem not just direct sun
and the dash in a car could be a big ticket item
dave

electronics on display at a flea mkt or yard sale on a hot sunny day could stand a
sheet of paper taped on it as a sun shade as some of it does not do heat well
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby tomtom » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Johnny,
what was the aftermarket website?
tomtom

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 am

Tomtom,
http://www.mz-faber.de/MZWeb/News.aspx I think the empty speedo casingss are under the '1000' section,
The news page on this site shows 125/250 works racers for 2010. The 250 promises 50+ bhp. Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:20 am

Tomtom, Re last post. Just checked, casings under section 'Gebrauchtmotoren und Teile' J2T
johnny2tents

Postby iceman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:48 am

Seems reasonable for 55 Euro...

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby tomtom » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:40 am

Trouble with buying from this site is they only take iban for payment. Here in uk the banks quote money laundering rules and rip us off to the tune of about £50 upward just to transfer money to europe. In europe it's as cheap as a mars bar to do this. I've had this argument numerous times in the bank (who by the way are the biggest bunch of dickheads out). they quote money laundering ,whilst the bloke from the corner shop? deposits thousands of pounds in used notes. Dah?

I'd buy one but the iban payment would equal or exceed the cost of the goods. If only they took paypal,i'd even pay the commision paypal charges the vendor .
Good site and they respond to your emails. The shop is only about 4 or 5 hrs from Calais. If only i lived down south then i could come back into the country, claim asylum and it would pay for all my parts.
tomtom

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:33 pm

Tomtom, I am already in Euros when working in Ireland. Do you want me to try? J2T
johnny2tents

Return to 1000S