MZ 1000s parts in USA? Lot's of questions...

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ 1000s parts in USA? Lot's of questions...

Postby scott964 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:53 pm

Hello... new to the group and have some questions. I am currently looking at a 2005 MZ 1000S that has a claimed 3000 miles.
It has had the left pipe removed and the left side of the Y collector is blocked off about 6 inches off the Y. A custom pipe and with a single carbon canister, looks like maybe a Vance and Hinds has been installed on the right side along with a Power Commander unit.
As I don't know what the tooth count is on the stock rear sprocket, I can't tell if it has been changed out. The faring has been cut on both sides to accommodate frame sliders, and adjustable Pazzo levers have been installed with Billet bar ends as well.
There is no visible damage or scratches on the body work, but the directionals are scratched up quite a bit and the tank badges are gone.... but again, no visible signs of damage or anything wrong with any body work?
Mirrors are fine, cases are in good shape, and frame and motor look very good as well.

The owner claims the bike was only ridden around town, but the brake fluid and Clutch fluid are very dark, and look "foggy" (dark on top, clearer toward the bottom) from looking through the plastic. Brakes look like the mileage is accurate.
Sellers were a MZ dealer at one point.... but look like they have a slant toward stunting.... which concerns me.
How much abuse can/could this engine - clutch take from wheelies / stoppies/ clutching it up type stuff?
At 3k Miles, do I care, as it was not enough to hurt anything?

Is there anyone out there that I can get replacement side panels / seat cowl / tank badges from.... and service parts down the road that can/will ship to the USA??

They are asking 5k USD fro the bike... I have a couple of Ducati's currently (a 99 Monster and a 06 Sport Classic) and a 85 900 NInja. I'm looking for a bike that I can take on Sunday morning sport rides, that would be fun/different in very twisty roads, where all out horse power is really not useful. All the reviews I have read make this bike sound like a nice or better alternative to a 900SS or V11 Guzzi for this type of riding, and just overall as well.
I'm a fast to very fast street rider... and this bike might see an occasional track day as well if I were to buy her.

Please let me know what you think and what you'd do, any thoughts on the modifications already done, what I should have done to correct/enhance any of the modifications, basically any input at all..there are so few of these in the USA that there really is no one to ask... all opinions and comments are welcome!!
Thank you
Scott B
Albany NY, USA
scott964

Re: MZ 1000s parts in USA? Lot's of questions...

Postby millgreen » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:43 am

Scott
I'm an owner of two 1000s one street and one track, have done various mods to both bikes including exhaust and power commanders, wouldn't think there would be any issues with the motor or clutch from the any stunting,have some extra parts from the race bike.
Sound's like a good deal to me.
Bill Millier Moravia NY PM me for more info
millgreen

Postby GED » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:36 pm

if the bike has been dropped and properly repaired ,does it really matter so long as frame and forks arnt bent ,theres lots of bikes that are dropped in there lifetime ,maybe the tank as been sprayed and badges couldnt be found ,take it for a test ride,the motors are bullet proof ,it now appears that the engine was designed not just for mz bikes but also to fit into light aircraft,jet skis ,and various other vehicles so it not going to blow up any time soon,build quality is seconed to none in my opinion just come back from a rally and there were plenty of low mile bikes there in a bad way ,including bmw,as for the guzzi my last bike was a v11 scura with factory race kit and ohilns fg42 suspension ,handled great but a bit too heavy and underpowered ,build quality was patchy,and the bike was like a woman it had major mood swings regarding reliability one day it would start the next it wouldnt,parts are available in the uk and are as easy to obtain than various other bikes ive owned ,try grahams motorcycles in taunton he ships to the states ,in my honest opinion and 25yrs of riding all types of bikes the mz is the most underated bike ever built ,
GED

Postby iceman » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:47 pm

GED wrote:if the bike has been dropped and properly repaired ,does it really matter so long as frame and forks arnt bent ,theres lots of bikes that are dropped in there lifetime ,maybe the tank as been sprayed and badges couldnt be found ,take it for a test ride,the motors are bullet proof ,it now appears that the engine was designed not just for mz bikes but also to fit into light aircraft,jet skis ,and various other vehicles so it not going to blow up any time soon,build quality is seconed to none in my opinion just come back from a rally and there were plenty of low mile bikes there in a bad way ,including bmw,as for the guzzi my last bike was a v11 scura with factory race kit and ohilns fg42 suspension ,handled great but a bit too heavy and underpowered ,build quality was patchy,and the bike was like a woman it had major mood swings regarding reliability one day it would start the next it wouldnt,parts are available in the uk and are as easy to obtain than various other bikes ive owned ,try grahams motorcycles in taunton he ships to the states ,in my honest opinion and 25yrs of riding all types of bikes the mz is the most underated bike ever built ,

GED,that testimonial makes me want a second one... :D
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby johnny2tents » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:53 am

Scott,

I agree with Ged, and would add that a virtually standard 1000S (remapping and noisy exhausts) was raced in the Isle of Man (Manx Grand Prix) for three seasons lapping at up to 110 mph and hitting 170 mph (downhill) suffered no mechanical problems. The motor sounded mechanically as quiet as a my road bike when I heard it running earlier this year.
Also I understand that the engine was originally designed to take a supercharger. Regards J2T
johnny2tents

Postby iceman » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:45 am

Scott, this link describes the bike really well.I saw the bike online that your looking at a little while back.It's plenty fast and could get many tickets if not carefull
I recently put on 3,ooo miles since July and found it comfortable,fast and distinctive. :D
http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/ ... _1000s.htm Here's a new one,he might take less.http://dayton.en.craigslist.org/mcy/1380803642.html

MZ nailed the fuel-injection formula. It works perfectly on everything from cold starts to all-out acceleration. You never even notice it.

The 1000S also has a character of its own when it comes to handling. Stubby clip-ons provide limited leverage. But get in the habit of leading with your chin—a slight upper body shift and a decisive look where you want to go—and the MZ proves to be stable and confidence-inspiring, nearly perfect on winding two-lanes

The 1000S is not a bike for the masses, but if the machine’s knife-edge styling and the parallel twin’s hammer-of-the-gods sound push the right buttons for you, then you really have no choice. The MZ 1000S is a class of one
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Return to 1000S