Tire / Battery Suggestions

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Tire / Battery Suggestions

Postby scott964 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:36 pm

Well I took delivery of my 1000s yesterday, raining and cold here, so I had to wait till today to give it a test run. Battery was also near dead as well, so a quick charge fixed that. It looked like the bike had a battery charger option on it already.. was that factory? Just asking as the original owner had put another charger on it as well, and the one that looks like it could be a Battery Tender looks completely unused.

Pulls great all the way to redline, and felt like it would pull hard right past it as well, tranny is smooth and the engine sounds very solid.
It needs tires pretty bad, mildly worn Metzler Sport Touring on it now and I was able to break the back loose with ease a bunch of times, and the battery looks like it might be stock, everything written in German.

OK, so I need some tire recommendations that will enhance handling and stick this thing to the pavement better.
I was looking at Michelin Pilots or Bridgestone BT16's, but as I'm new to this bike I'd like to see if I can get recommendations from the guys that actually ride 1000's and what you are using and like for an occasional track day and Sunday morning very fast mountain/very curvy secondary roads rides.
This bike will never see long haul duty, just short (100-200 mile) very fast romps over roads much like the Tail of the Dragon/Deal's Gap, TN USA type of stuff, so long life is much less important than improved-superb handling, traction and stopping.
Suggestions? Anything to avoid?

Battery?...I was able to bring it right back to life, but it probably could use a new one.
Yuasa is a standard here in the US, but I know that the Yamaha Vmax benefited greatly from a sealed marine battery, as does my Ducati Monster... but you would never know that unless you were part of the owners group and asked.
Anybody have a suggestion, or just go with sealed Yuasa?

Also this bike has stock sprockets, and I know changes will make a big difference in performance.... any recommendation on manufacturer for replacements?
I've already had some great feedback of sprocket sizes.... just not sure whose to use or whose fit, and it's easier to have all the info in hand when ready to order.

Sorry for all the questions, but it's best to go to those that use the product for real world advice on things, and the shop I'm working with to do the work is still a bit unsure of parts recommendations as they have never really seen one in person.... so the more info I can bring them on what I want or need right down to what manufacturer for the parts, the easier it is to get things done in a timely manner.

Thank you for all you assistance!!
Scott
Albany, NY USA
scott964

Re: Tire / Battery Suggestions

Postby iceman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:55 pm

Scott congratulations,I also need a battery and tires so I will eagerly await reply's.

How was the ride overall compared to the one you last test rode ? Much better I'm guessing.

In the short time I've had mine all I can say is it likes the upper revs but also need to add that my sprockets were changed when I got it.

What's your impression of the sound of the pipes and lastly where's the picture ? :D

Here's a link with a bunch of pictures I posted of the best season in Vermont (Fall) http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/show ... p?t=190022

Check out the last picture yes the dam bike fell over in the grass.I went across the street to take the picture but didn't expect not to be able to get back to the bike quickly because of traffic.I guess there's no tip over sensor as it gept running on it's side and at first (battery) tried to just lift it and quickly realized it might not be getting a good drink of oil in that position so I quickly shut it down.All in all a great day...
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby LWS66 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi Scott,

Good to see another owner here!

For the rear: any sprocket for a 2001-04 Yamaha FZ1 or 1998-2005 R1 fits.

For the front: any 2002-04 Honda 919 or 2000-05 RC51 RVT 1000 fits.

You can even convert to 520 sprockets and chain for less weight. I've got a Vortex brand on the front (nice sprocket with lightening holes) and a Sidewinder brand on the rear (steel tooth ring mounted to an aluminum hub, held together with titanium rivets....more bling than anything else IMO) The aluminum Vortex rear is a nicely finished piece. Do you have a Cycle Gear nearby? They carry Vortex.

My personal preference for tires are the Continental Sport Attacks. 120/70 front, 180/55 rear (I may try a 190/50 next)
I get about 7500 miles on a front and 3000-3200 miles per rear (about 2.5 rears to a 1 front) And the front wears evenly. They compliment the chassis, very planted, stable, stick like stink on.....I ride exclusively in NC/SC/GA mountains. They are more than sufficient for our bikes. There are surely other excellent choices, but I've settled on those, and they are good value.
Tried the Metzler M3, but the front wears out too fast. Rear I got about 3000 miles. Could'nt get a full 2 rears to 1 front- and they (front) wear on the sides way too fast, tip in becomes too abrupt/unsettling.

I relaced the stock Varta battery with a MagnaPower GTX14-BS (220CCA) AGM type (absorbed glass mat) battery from....Walmart. Holding up great.
Hope that helps some! :smt006

Lorin
LWS66

Postby iceman » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:41 pm

Lorin,thanks that helps me a lot,I'll go with your thoughts where you have 30,000 miles to have tested for me. :D
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby tomtom » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:47 am

At the moment i've got a 190 section avon azoro on the rear with the original metzeler on the front. No problems, good high speed stability.
Probably change the front to an avon to match as its now starting to wear.
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:20 am

Scott
The item that looks like a cigarette lighter socket under the seat is in fact a power take- off and it was a factory option. It can be used as a bike-to bike booster socket with the right size wiring. Mine is wired this way as my wife owns something italian and has needed the occasional help with starting. I have found that metzler Sport/touring tyres seem to suit the machine best for wear and wet grip, I did fit some Pirellis at one point but had to remove them as they were dangerous. John (iceman) is quite right in saying that the machine does not have a tilt switch but it does have an abrupt stop (otherwise known as a crash ) switch that will cut power to the fuel pump in the event of an accident (better than a Hindu funeral).
boilermaker

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Scott,

I have Continental Sport Attacks on my 1000S, and I don't have any complaints about them, in any situation (track included).
I will try try Metzeler M3 next time, because I have heard very good things about them and I'm curious.

I replaced the original battery after one ruined WE too many, when the bike would not even turn the instrument panel on because of poor charge. I have a YUASA YTZ14 now, and so far she has been good, although I still have to test it on cold winter mornings.

Regarding the final gearing, I have experimented with a few configurations, and I'm back to the original 17/45. Shorter combinations make the bike a bit smoother in town, but I found they made main road work a bit too frantic. I am now used to ride around the lumpiness at low revs, and I appreciated the longer stride the bike has with these sprockets. In the end, it's probably down to personal preference.

Hope this helps, Ride Safe.
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby scott964 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:50 am

Thank you to everyone that responded!!
I'll be posting some pic's of the bike shortly Iceman.... I have a seat cowl coming for it already.

Have a great weekend.
scott964

Postby iceman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:36 am

It's going to look nice.

John Lennon
iceman

Postby iceman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:22 pm

Interesting read for when it's too cold to ride. http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcy ... tires.html
John Lennon
iceman

Postby boilermaker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:43 pm

John
A very good article that cuts through a lot of unecessary bullshit.
George
boilermaker

Postby Stephenonz » Thu Feb 04, 2010 1:11 pm

Some thoughts about tyres: When I bought my ST it had Bridgestones on it and they were fine, except, as you expect, they were a bit squared off towards the end of their life. On recommendation I replaced the back tyre with a Conti Road attack, and it was nice to ride on, however, it was worn out in about 5,000 km. I haven't used Conti's for many years, due to a previous bad experience, and won't be using them again.
The back tyre is now a Michelin Pilot Road 2 and the front a Michelin Pilot Power (the shop didn't have any front Road 2's at the time). I'm very happy with these and the bike handles very well. Reports also suggest that the Road 2's have a very good life as well.
The other tyres I've been very happy with in the past (on a Yamaha TRX) are Avon Storm ST's. I was looking to put these on the MZ, however, they are now very expensive here in New Zealand.
Stephenonz

Return to 1000S