Miss on right piston??

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Miss on right piston??

Postby TheQK1 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:19 am

Hi guys

My 1000S all of a sudden (one day ok, the next an issue) had a miss. Took it in to Suzuki as no MZ workshop. They changed the spark plugs (NGK) and replaced the air filter (MZ part), cleaned the coils but are not very clear on what they've done to correct the problem that is now fixed.

On picking up the bike she was revving good and sounded great. Took the bike for a spin (nothing wrong) and noticed that the ECU light was permanently on (not the case before I took the bike in to Suzuki). On my return to the workshop I told them about the light upon which they checked all the connections.

I am taking the bike to the MZ dealer that has new software for the ECU and the computer to set the bike (15 min job according to them).

My question - could it be that the guys from Suzuki did a FIX with the coil and that the ECU is picking something up and now the light is on? Or is it that when you disconnect the battery that the ECU needs to be re-set???
Anyone here have some ideas or good advice?

Regards
Werner
TheQK1

Re: Miss on right piston??

Postby GED » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:21 pm

im assuming the bike is running ok now,its just the ecu light that is on,if you remove /replace /certain parts on the 1000 the ecu will pick up on this and assume theres a fault with the bike ,and illuminate the light ,ie if you remove a relay and then replace it the ecu light will come on and stay on ,until the bike has gone through a set number of start ups /getting to temp / running for a certain number of miles,once the ecu has decided that theres nothing wrong it will go out,there is a primary and a secondry ignition in the pencil coil and if either or both have failed then throw it away theres no fix other than to replace it,also if you have a laptop get a obd 2 diagnostic lead and suitable software and you can do your own diagnostics ,[i learnt the hard way]if u have no laptop then get a good fault code reader ,i have tried to email you a copy of the mz manuall but the size exceeds my email account and i cant send it ,sorry
GED

Postby GED » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:28 pm

this is the software i use for my bike and my car and everybody elses car at work :( you will need a obd 2 connector

http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp?pr ... CMSCAN-KEY
GED

Postby boilermaker » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:23 pm

GED
Are you still using the demo softwear or did you purchase, if so which one? Also, will my laptop cope and where do I get a usb/obd lead.
boilermaker

Postby GED » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:56 pm

boilermaker wrote:GED
Are you still using the demo softwear or did you purchase, if so which one? Also, will my laptop cope and where do I get a usb/obd lead.
i used the demo first and then purchased the program cos i liked what i saw and it worked out cheaper than a dedicated fault code reader [fcr]i used the software thats on the link above try the demo first,see if you like it ,obd 2 interface and lead i got off ebay ,the people i got the software from are very helpful [typical yanks :wink: ]and i found the package invaluble,
GED

Postby GED » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 pm

george this is very very similar to mine http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-DIAGNOSTIC-CA ... 2a028130ca

if you type in obd 11 obd 2 cable or lead or interface im sure you will find what you want for less thhan 30 quid
GED

Postby TheQK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:11 am

GED wrote:im assuming the bike is running ok now,its just the ecu light that is on,if you remove /replace /certain parts on the 1000 the ecu will pick up on this and assume theres a fault with the bike ,and illuminate the light ,ie if you remove a relay and then replace it the ecu light will come on and stay on ,until the bike has gone through a set number of start ups /getting to temp / running for a certain number of miles,once the ecu has decided that theres nothing wrong it will go out,there is a primary and a secondry ignition in the pencil coil and if either or both have failed then throw it away theres no fix other than to replace it,also if you have a laptop get a obd 2 diagnostic lead and suitable software and you can do your own diagnostics ,[i learnt the hard way]if u have no laptop then get a good fault code reader ,i have tried to email you a copy of the mz manuall but the size exceeds my email account and i cant send it ,sorry

Thanks,
yes the bike is running 100%, so far I only drove it home (7km) It is raining today so took the car will drive it tomorrow to the MZ dealer for new software for the ecu, so prob still the demo software??
TheQK1

Postby TheQK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks for trying on the service manual.

Does no one have a website with manual for download? I saw a post somewhere in the coil discussion with a link for the service manual, click it "no file for download" ?

Regards
Werner
TheQK1

Postby TheQK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 am

"there is a primary and a secondry ignition in the pencil coil" if one of these two "primer - second" if not working will the bike still run?

Regards
Werner
TheQK1

Postby boilermaker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:37 am

Werner
Are you a German national? if you are then my compliments on your english, but more importantly there is an excellent German language websitefor all the MZ models but with especially comprehensive information on the 1000 series.
boilermaker

Postby boilermaker » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:40 am

Werner
Sorry mate just noticed your other post mentions South Africa, many MZs down there?
boilermaker

Postby TheQK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:08 am

boilermaker wrote:Werner
Sorry mate just noticed your other post mentions South Africa, many MZs down there?

Nope, only a hand full.
TheQK1

Postby TheQK1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:16 am

I am not sure on the 125's but I thing only one S,SF and tourer in the country.

Parts here a are very expensive but found a dealer in the Uk (Greams Motorcycles) http://www.grahamsmotorcycles.com/ and they are cheaper than the local guys.

I have just ordered the right handlebar cluster (starter switch) for 102 Pouns shipping to South Africa included.
TheQK1

Postby GED » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:06 pm

TheQK1 wrote:"there is a primary and a secondry ignition in the pencil coil" if one of these two "primer - second" if not working will the bike still run?

Regards
Werner
SIMPLE ANSWER NO ,IF EITHER PRIMARY OR SECONDARY FAIL THEN THE COIL IS USELESS,PS IM A LITTLE CONFUSED AS TO WHAT YOU MEAN BY NEW ECU SOFTWARE :?:

IF THE BIKES RUNNING FINE AND IT HAS A ECU LIGHT ILLUMINATED ,[IF IT WAS ME] I WOULD RUN THE BIKE FOR A FEW DAYS ,SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF ITS STILL LIT BUY A FAULT CODE READER ,ANYHOW KEEP US INFORMED
GED

Postby GED » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:14 pm

TheQK1 wrote:"there is a primary and a secondry ignition in the pencil coil" if one of these two "primer - second" if not working will the bike still run?

Regards
Werner

SIMPLE ANSWER NO ,IF EITHER PRIMARY OR SECONDARY FAIL THEN THE COIL IS USELESS,PS IM A LITTLE CONFUSED AS TO WHAT YOU MEAN BY NEW ECU SOFTWARE :?:

IF THE BIKES RUNNING FINE AND IT HAS A ECU LIGHT ILLUMINATED ,[IF IT WAS ME] I WOULD RUN THE BIKE FOR A FEW DAYS ,SEE WHAT HAPPENS IF ITS STILL LIT BUY A FAULT CODE READER ,ANYHOW KEEP US INFORMED
GED

Next

Return to 1000S