Warped Pulsating Brake Rotors...Or Just Uneven Glazing?

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Warped Pulsating Brake Rotors...Or Just Uneven Glazing?

Postby LWS66 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:27 pm

If anyone with one of these bikes has experienced symptoms of warped rotors (there seems to be an issue from reading elsewhere with these brakes) has'nt already done so, I would recommend that the front end be lifted on a stand (support the rear first of course!) remove the calipers, and with 80 grit (or close to) sandpaper or coarse emery cloth wrapped around a known flat piece of metal stock, proceed to sand clean each side of the rotors. Lay it on the rotor and really sand it good and clean. You want to eliminate all the glaze. Worth a shot, as new rotors ain't cheap, and this just may solve the issue. I've had pulsating front brakes for quite some time, and just assumed the rotors somehow got warped. Had no proper dial indicator setup to properly check for warpage, or reliable impovised way of checking. Just lived with it, waiting to bite the $$$ bullet. Recently installed Bridgestone BT016's as well as new DP HH pads and performed a thorough brake system cleaning/service, sanding the rotors, per some other sites with riders posting about experiencing similar symptoms. Finally, after almost a month waiting to ride the damn thing (crap weather down south) and bedding in the new pads....no more pulsating. Just smooth powerful braking. I had previosly installed organic pads (less agressive) without doing the sanding but still had the pulsating. Sure glad I did'nt have to fork out mega$$$$ for new rotors! :-D

Lorin
LWS66

Re: Warped Pulsating Brake Rotors...Or Just Uneven Glazing?

Postby iceman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:57 pm

Lorin good to know.Thanks for the tip...John
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Return to 1000S