Fuel consumption.....

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Fuel consumption.....

Postby zedhead » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:12 am

Hi, my 1000ST is rather thirsty, doing about 35mpg (the same as my van!) and I'm just curious what other owners are finding. Can anyone speculate on why the bike's fuel consumption is so high? My GSXR1100 with carbs is nominally 153bhp but slightly better on fuel. Is is the fuel injection, I wonder? How about fitting a nice pair of carbs? I guess we'll all end up facing this problem when spares for the injection system dry up.

Karl
zedhead

Re: Fuel consumption.....

Postby iceman » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:39 am

Karl,
I feel the same.My SF seems to drink the fuel faster than the other bikes I have.

I've been having too much fun to slow down and try and find out why,but I think its time as this is getting costly.

The bike runs and sounds great but the fuel just goes way too quickly

I don't think you could ever run carbs as the ECU/computer has many inputs that control the fuel injection.

John
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby boilermaker » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm

Zed
Your fuel consumption figures are about the same as mine. When I get time I will try and hook the system up to someones diag unit and check the fuel mapping. However I am mindful of the fact that you do not get anything for nothing in the internal combustion business. Iceman is correct re the reversion to a carburetted engine, this one has been designed from the first pencil stroke as a managed/injected engine. The spares situation for the injection system is unlikely to become a problem as all the components are "off the shelf items".
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:23 pm

When my 1000S was stock I was getting 42-46mpg depending on how hard I rode it. After some mods and a Power Commander I seem to be getting around 38 or so, again, depending on how hard I ride it....which has been pretty hard lately so mpg is not that great :(
LWS66

Postby peaster » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:45 am

Interesting. I was thinking about fitting the power commander module too. However I am getting about 17.5 km / litre or 49.4 miles / imperial gallon when used on a long trip two up. Drops to about 14.5 - 15 km / l or 40.9 mpg when pushing harder on tight winding roads.

How do you rate the power commander ? and have you fitted anything else, i.e. gearing change or accessory / modified exhausts. Any dyno runs ?

Thanks,

peaster
8)
peaster

Postby LWS66 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:14 am

At first I was hesitant to go with the PC, due mostly to my paranoia messing with the electronics. But, finally caved and got one. It was well worth it. It comes with a new map only for a stock bike, it makes a big improvement top to bottom. I have a K&N air filter, modified airbox, Sebring Twister exhaust w/baffles in, and a 16/45 gearing combo. I've yet to put it on a dyno to have a map created for my combo, but it runs so frigging good as it is it's not a top priority, yet. :-D
LWS66

Postby iceman » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:35 pm

This is interesting,maybe my vacuum cleaner hose forcing air in is the problem...

In the end one thing is for certain if you are going to use aftermarket filters & get any appreciable gains from them it's going to require a Powercommader, alot of dyno time & probably some creative airbox mods too, maybe even to the point of fabricating custom bellmouths to get it dialed in correctly & you must also consider that in some cases there are no gains to be had & in many a loss of performance or drivability can Occur!

http://www.rc51.org/airfilt.htm
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby tomtom » Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:43 pm

picture of icemans ram air ducting seen below nose fairing
doubleclick the pic to see better
026.jpg
tomtom

Postby IlPrincipeBrutto » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:06 am

I have noticed an increase in the fuel consuption on my bike.
After I bought it (May 2006) it wasn't difficult to get more than 10miles/litre, and 11 was not rare.
But now I rarely go over 10, and sometimes it seems to dip below 9.

I don't think it can all be attributed to a change in my riding style, I'm still as slow as when I bought it.

Ride Safe,

IPB
IlPrincipeBrutto

Postby johnny2tents » Tue May 18, 2010 1:12 pm

Hi Z, From a previous post I got 37 to 41 mpg with fast cruising on the ST with std cans. An absolute best of 54 has been achieved when crawling around.
I will be fitting my 2 into 1 cat less exhaust before considering remapping but my intuition suggests weakening the mixture somewhat.
Similar riding on the heavier 96 K1100RS returns 55 mpg Cheers J2T
johnny2tents

Return to 1000S