02 sensors

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

02 sensors

Postby tomtom » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Are all oxygen sensors basically the same apart from thread pitch , length and number of wires. Or are they specific items for one bike or just generic.

I know boilermaker did source a replacement oxy sensor but is it possible to use one off another make of bike if number of wires , thread size etc match or is that too simple
tomtom

Re: 02 sensors

Postby iceman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:04 pm

I would think they need to match the ECU/computer much like the pencil coils.

Not to say you can't find a different type/make.I just think the stars have to align.

I think the hard part would be the end with the plug on it.

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:16 am

Tom
John/iceman is correct, the o2 sensor in this case is matched to the engine and is of the type that reads BEFORE the catalyst. If you look back along the thread relating to the Lambda sensors you will find the specific recommendation of the NGK man in Japan + the Siemens man in Germany. It in fact took 2 weeks and a number of E-Mails to various countries to identify the bloody thing. When I tried to buy one from a local motor factor he said that he did not have one in stock and suggested I use completely the wrong unit (an after cat type) and when I told him that he obviously did not understand the function of this device he accused me of being arrogant and thinking that I knew more than his computer, to which I replied that I sincerely hope that that is the case.
boilermaker

Postby tomtom » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:04 am

it was just a thought. I don't need an o2 sensor just now but better to understand how they work.

Funny how what is perceived as being simple turns out to be difficult :mrgreen:
tomtom

Postby boilermaker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:57 am

Tom
There are a few old rules in engineering that echo your sentiments re simple things/jobs they are as follows: "The smallest job will require the maximum number of tools". "The tightest nut will be the one that is least acessable" and finally "The simpler the machine the more complex the problem". If you add to this the present day manufacturers attitude of "you will/can not maintain your own machine" then life with a modern vehicle has become very frustrating.
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:14 am

tomtom wrote:
Funny how what is perceived as being simple turns out to be difficult :mrgreen:

AND funny how what is percieved as being difficult turns out to be simple. :oops: I hate when that happens! :mrgreen:
LWS66

Return to 1000S