Sidelights come on with brake light?

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Sidelights come on with brake light?

Postby MJ310 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:39 pm

Zed

Thats great, how are you going to get the main headlight flasher to work without the lights being on?
The only way I can see it to modifly the wiring.

Mick
MJ310

Postby zedhead » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:31 pm

Hi again, after removing the daylight relay from under the seat so that the headlights didn't come on all the time, the high beam flash didn't work. To get the high beam flash to work, I cut back a little of the outer wrap on the switchgear, and then spliced (soldered) a 'branching-off' wire from the red/black wire. Then I cut the blue wire, and covered the end coming FROM the connector which joins to the main bike harness. The other cut end of the blue wire, which heads towards the switch gear was soldered to the jumper wire which I added earlier. This is to provide a constant live supply to the high beam flash switch. It was all wrapped up to insulate, and then the fairing refitted. Main beam flash now works!

I have also disabled the start repeat inhibitor relay, which failed and was a totally pointless pain in the ass (even when it 'worked') and rendered my bike unstartable, upgraded the starter solenoid from a 50 amp to a 150 amp, and fitted a new Varta battery. Now it starts too!

The warmer weather is coming, let's get those zeds out.

Is anyone up for a a UK-based MZ1000 get-together?

Zed
zedhead

Postby boilermaker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:45 am

Zed
Where did you get your 150 amp solenoid? every one that I have seen has been too bulky.
boilermaker

Postby zedhead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:30 pm

Hi Boilermaker, I bought a couple off ebay last year, and it fitted straight on without any messing about, being identical in dimensions and electrical connection. They are the same as fitted to Aprilias, and there's one on ebay now: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Brand-new-12V-150 ... 1132wt_907

The picture is hopelessly blurred so it might be an idea to ask the seller for a better picture before committing to the purchase, but it looks roughly the same (can't see the electrical connector though) .

Fancy a meet-up later in the year?

Zed
zedhead

Postby boilermaker » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Where do you live?
boilermaker

Postby zedhead » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Sutton Coldfield, just north of Birmingham
zedhead

Postby MJ310 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:49 pm

Zed

Yes I am up for a MZ1000 get together, I live just outside clevedon, 1/2 way between you and boilermaker. What sort of timescale are you thinking of?

Mick
MJ310

Postby dave » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:14 pm

Sorry to jump in, but this is a good pub...

http://www.red-lion-pub-avebury.co.uk/index.php

2.5hrs / 150 miles from Habertonford

2.0hrs / 110 from Sutton Coldfield

1.0hr / 60 miles from Clevedon

Quite a popular bike meeting pub (althought they dont advertise it on the website)

We had a Yamaha TRX850 meeting there a couple of years back...

....and about 2.0hrs /100 miles for me from Leicester ........ as a new 1000s owner :D :D

Or there's the May Day big meet at Weston Super Mare??

Dave.
dave

Postby boilermaker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 am

ZED
I am familiar with Sutton Coalfield, worked just down the road for a 18 months at Spaghetti juction.

Dave
Wiltshire is fine with me, Weston OK as well although it clashes with the big bank holliday week-end 3 day event at Paignton.
Do you still have a TRX ? Mine is in the garage under a sorn at the moment.
boilermaker

Postby boilermaker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:27 am

Dave
Just had are-think on the Wiltshire location, not many blue lines on the map crossing from East to West at this lattitude. I can get to your home quicker than to some places in the South.
boilermaker

Postby dave » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 am

Do you still have a TRX ? Mine is in the garage under a sorn at the moment.

Nope, no TRX now.

I've owned 3 over the years, last one being nicely tricked-up (FCR41 carbs, Renegade full system, YZF750 front end, Harris endurance fairing etc etc).

I sold it as I fancied a change, bought an old Triumph daytona 900 which was cr@p :(

Sold that and bought the Baghira which is great :D and led me on to buying the 1000S as I'm a big twin man at heart.

I dont usually change bikes much, so I'm hoping the 1000S is one I can settle down with.

Do you use the TRX forum?

Dave.
dave

Postby boilermaker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:51 am

Dave
Used the TRX forum when I first bought the bike about 9 years ago but I now find its full of posers that know as much about engine design as I do about chicken farming. My No 2 son has his eye on the bike but not until he finally takes his bike test. I loaned it to an old friend who had a prang on his Laverda and he has since sold the Lav and bought a pristine TRX, says its the most un-japanese bike he has ever owned! You should not be dissapointed in the MZ 1000 just implement all the mods worked out by forum members and you will have a very rare piece of quality engineering.
boilermaker

Postby Stephenonz » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:04 pm

Hi - I haven't read all the posts but the first thing I'd check is the earth for the brake light, if this is fauly the side lights might be acting as an earth path.
Stephenonz

Postby boilermaker » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Stephanoz
Just had the same problem with the wife's car, bad earth path.
boilermaker

Postby radiograf » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:41 pm

Zed, had this problem whenever I've fitted led stop/tail lights to a bike. What happens with these is that the lamp just gets brighter as you add more power from the brake switch (unlike a duel filiment bulb, where you have two seperate circuits), and electricity 'leaks' back through the wiring to the sidelight bulb. The answer is to fit a blocking diode in the side light circuit in the rear light. I use cheap ones ment for chinese motorbikes from ebay. These have two spade terminals making fitment easy. Just remember if it dosn't work try connecting the led the other way round!
radiograf

PreviousNext

Return to 1000S