wheels

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

wheels

Postby boilermaker » Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Some photos and comments etc on the Faber-MZ site re the "Lightcon" wheels fitted to our machines. Photo shows wear of bearing socket in the rear wheel. Has anyone got any more info?
boilermaker

Re: wheels

Postby LWS66 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:03 am

Saw that too, thought I read on here about someone having a similar issue. Pulling the bearings and using Loctite reataining compound before re-installing, I would think, should help avoid the problem?
LWS66

Postby boilermaker » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Lorin
I think that may have been me as I repaired my rear wheel with Devcon Industrial Aluminum/Aluminium Epoxy. The photos on the MZ Faber site showed what appeared to be a machined adaptor to act as a new bearing carrier. If FaberLightcon/MZ actually manufacture such an item it could be useful.
boilermaker

Postby iceman » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:17 pm

I went to the Farber site and only saw those green wheels.

Can someone post a link ??? Thanks
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby boilermaker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:51 am

John
Do not know how to post an auto-link but it is on www.ktm-faber.de/MZWeb/News.aspx. It is the Home/News page and is the last item at the bottom of the page showing a silver wheel + three views with an orange tape around it marked "GESPERRT".
boilermaker

Postby iceman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:43 am

George thanks,
I wish I looked a little closer when I replaced my rear tire last spring.Looks like some new bearings in store for that first photo.All scored where it looks like it should be stationary in the wheel...right or am I missing something. Then again to see that I would have had to pull the bearings and wouldn't unless it was acting up.Plus I have relatively low miles on mine.
IE,making noise or felt/feeling some sort of imbalance.
I see the threaded holes in the second picture so I suppose the rear disc or sprocket gets bolted there and that's why I didn't give it a second thought.

What kind of symptoms did you encounter George noise ?? Also how many miles was yours at ?

You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby iceman » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:04 am

What actually is this picture illustrating ?? Is this the adapter you referred to George ??

John Lennon
iceman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:02 pm

take a look at wheel bearings in all the late model MZ bikes
the bearings in my rt125 were very big on noise at 13000 miles
and were dry
so i did new bearings and good grease
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby boilermaker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 pm

David
Thanks for the notification.
John
I do not recognize the component shown in the photo and it does not seem to appear on any of the exploded diagrams in the manuals. In answer to your question re my rear wheel bearings I first noticed a sort of vague feeling from the back end on cornering. The bike had done about 22,000 miles. When I started to remove the rear wheel I noticed that the speedometer/odometer sensor was touching the wheel/disc rotor bolt heads indicating that the wheel had in fact shifted sideways a fraction. The wheel bearing outer on that side had in fact been rotating in the casting, Following my repair with Devcon Resin I removed and replaced all the wheel bearings, setting them in Loctite "bearing fit ". I have been monitoring them weekly and at every tyre change but the problem has not re-occurred.
boilermaker

Postby iceman » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:59 pm

These are of the same material and manufacture process as the MZ 1000 lightcon wheels.
Was MZ ahead of the times back in 2004 ??? http://www.wildbros.com/Lightcon.html

John Lennon
iceman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:40 pm

the prices on those wheels are more than most people in my area can afford for the whole bike
dave

i had to start cutting my old take offs tires in too pieces
so people did not raid my trash and remount them
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby iceman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:13 am

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:the prices on those wheels are more than most people in my area can afford for the whole bike
dave

i had to start cutting my old take offs tires in too pieces
so people did not raid my trash and remount them

That's my point $$$$ They are standard on any MZ 1000 S/SF/ST MATT BLACK FRONT AND REAR $1,800
John Lennon
iceman

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:10 pm

price point is killing car sales and the bikes also

and they don't seem to get the message of good gas mileage

my VW diesel bug gets better mileage than any of my bikes except the rt125
if the economy improves ...the honeymoon on high fuel prices is over
Bolivia hit drivers with a 73% rise last week
thats made it almost a us dollar per liter
in one of the poorest countrys in SA

dave
soon to be a moped rider
of everything"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Postby iceman » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:57 pm

DAVID THOMPSON wrote:price point is killing car sales and the bikes also

and they don't seem to get the message of good gas mileage

my VW diesel bug gets better mileage than any of my bikes except the rt125
if the economy improves ...the honeymoon on high fuel prices is over
Bolivia hit drivers with a 73% rise last week
thats made it almost a us dollar per liter
in one of the poorest countrys in SA

dave
soon to be a moped rider

Dave,
I know how you feel about the honeymoon and I'm sure all the UK/EU guys definitely know as they pay between US $6-8 dollars a gallon regardless if It's an Imperial gallon or by the liter like Canada,Italy and the rest of the world.
The honeymoon is over within the next year you will see many,many states default 'go Bankrupt as they are broke now.My little state of less than 700,000 people are 130 million in the red and that's not bad considering other much larger states that are going to need a Federal backed bailout like all the banks.

The question is are the feds going to bail out all these states and become that much more indebted to CHINA is anyone's guess.Maybe print more money like they have been doing thus devaluing the dollar even further.
In the end maybe we just declare to China "we" are bankrupt ! They hold all the cards maybe we shouldn't piss them off as I see them as the world superpower in a very short time and that time maybe now.

Ok,The wheels on the MZ 1000 are $1800 and I've seen whole bikes in good to great condition sell for twice that.Cash is king. :shock:
So was MZ ahead of the times in regards to the 1000 and at least the process of these wheels ?? Anybody,thoughts ??
John Lennon
iceman

Postby LWS66 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm bewildered......how does one........where's the ........how do you go from asking.......never mind :roll: Oh, what was your question again Iceman??!!!! :smt005
LWS66

Next

Return to 1000S