Information

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Information

Postby Heather » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:57 am

Hi, new to this forum but not new to MZ's. I commute on a Skorpion Taveller to work, it's never let me down! I always wanted a MZ 1000 but since they are likes hens teeth I thought that it was not meant to be. I'm getting to the point of this thread...............honestly. Since I've back problem I had to sell my Buell XB 12 citycross but low and behold the next day a 1000s went for sale on ebay. My partner told me to buy it and to worry about any problems with the bike later, him being a mechanic with a history of riding MZ's for 20+ years I just had to buy it and currently it is waiting to be picked up and bought back to Northern Ireland.

I'm looking for any information regarding any problems with 1000's and things that should be looked out for. Any information would be greatly appreciated :D
Heather

Re: Information

Postby MJ310 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi

Which model is it?
Have a look at the forums to see what problems have been reported, I have an SF and have little to complain about, 1 relay (fixed under warranty) and 1 coil and I swapped the battery from my speedtriple as teh MZ requires a bit of current to start.
Some report poor quality on the rubber components and some report exhaust mounts snapping but so far I dont have any issues, it's a great bike and not a common site.

Mick
MJ310

Postby Heather » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:00 am

Thanks for the info.

The model is a 1000S the sports model. I really wanted the SF but I was just happy to get my hands on any of the 1000 models. I'll look into getting a better battery for the bike. The skorpions can be hard enough to start at times.
Heather

Postby boilermaker » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Heather
This forum is full of info re any problems with the 1000 series machines. The main problems are electrical and they are common to any number of modern machines. They start with the battery. If you are going to replace yours then purchase a battery with the highest CCA (cold cranking amperage) that you can find. The Remote Starter soleniod (under the seat) can be another source of trouble and can be replaced with an uprated item from any good auto electrical manufacturer. A nasty little device called a repeat start switch (or some such name ) lurks in the loom somewhere around the headlamp cluster, this should be binned pronto. The spark plug coils live in their own swimming pools in the cylinder covers and can be a source of problems, one word of warning on these items, if the engine goes on to one cylinder DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RIDE HOME. This will result in an incandescent catalytic converter and possible fire. If you can remove the cats then do so, they are not required by UK law. All the above problems and their solutions are covered somewhere on this forum. The fuel map on the 1000s is set up for sporty performance and can be moderated to the profile used by the 1000st or sf to make the machine more user friendly. You will still be the owner of a unique example of German Engineering which is worth looking after.
Oh, and the engine characteristics could not be more different to your Buell with not much power under 3,000 rpm and noticeably more power above 5,000rpm right around to 12,000.
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:20 pm

Hello Heather,

I've got the 1000S and have racked up over 40,000 miles to date from new. As far as reliability and breakdowns go (or lack of breakdowns) I've had (at different times) one fuel pump fuse burn out and one fuel pump relay go out which I diagnosed and swapped roadside and was on my way each time, replaced with ones from the excellent tool kit under seat. Other than that, the bike has never left me stranded. I'd ride it across country (2600+ miles) in a heartbeat without a worry in the world....it's that reliable and trustworthy. The headlight "eyeballs" within the housings are mounted in thin plastic adjustment sockets, these will harden, crack, and fall apart with time and heat. This happened on mine early on, would have been covered under warranty but I dragged my feet and ended up fixing it myself. The high beam glass eyeball craked within the first year (I run high beam all the time, but it should'nt have cracked..again I dragged my feet on getting it fixed) Valves are still within spec, uses no oil, still looks like new, horn button wiring at switch terminals has broken a few times due to wiring being too short and under stress, finally added short section of wiring and all has been good. I've none of the problems some of your countrymen, or island mates seem to encounter, my bike is not subjected to the moisture over here in the states as they can be over there. No coil problems, repeat start switch issues etc. I make a point of not soaking it with a hose during washing and avoid riding in any rain so that may have something to do with my luck. I would'nt worry about anything, just take care of it, service it, lube it, ride and enjoy it. Best unknown great bike out there..... still, IMO :smt007
Lorin
LWS66

Postby GED » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:29 am

Hi heather the mz is a sound piece of kit ,and if you was a week later you could of bought mine

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MZ-1000-SF-/12070 ... 1c1aa93ee5
GED

Postby MJ310 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:04 pm

Ged

Why are you selling, I have an orange SF and have only ever seen 1 other so I know it's a rare beast.

Mick
MJ310

Postby GED » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:36 pm

why am i selling good question ,the sf is one hell of a good bike and fulfills 90% of my requirments,commute,sunday blast.etc,totally rock solid engineering and quality of finish,BUT ,,,,where the sf fails for me is in distance riding ive found over the last couple of years ive been going to more rallies and because im 6ft 3inch the fairing offers little protection especially when trying to keep up with my friends ,blackbird and zzr1200,also im not light about 18 stone and because of the upright riding position all my weight is transferred to the base of my spine ,i love the bike to bits and ive even tried to convert it to clip on bars ,but now realise i need diff reservoirs and fairing so its just not practical to do that so alas she has to go.in my perfect world somone with a mint as mine BLACK mz1000ST with low miles would pull up outside my house and offer a swap :D
the funny thing is last night i had 3 calls about the bike one was from a guy in cornwall who is interested in buying it,,hes from the mzridersclub.com and another 2 complete strangers telling me i shouldnt sell as i would regret it as thre such a good bike,and after that i got 2 messages through ebay stateing the same ,,,never have i owned a bike that as inspired so much emotion
GED

Postby daytona992 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:30 am

Hi Ged,

Fully understand your reasons for wanting to sell but £3000 puts anyone (certainly at a dealer) in the semi-corroded budget bike territory. Would'nt sell my 1000s for a penny less than what I paid (when new) two years ago. Eight thousand pounds for say a new Yam FZ8. No thanks!!

Regards,

Gary.
daytona992

Postby iceman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:12 pm

GED wrote:why am i selling good question ,the sf is one hell of a good bike and fulfills 90% of my requirments,commute,sunday blast.etc,totally rock solid engineering and quality of finish,BUT ,,,,where the sf fails for me is in distance riding ive found over the last couple of years ive been going to more rallies and because im 6ft 3inch the fairing offers little protection especially when trying to keep up with my friends ,blackbird and zzr1200,also im not light about 18 stone and because of the upright riding position all my weight is transferred to the base of my spine ,i love the bike to bits and ive even tried to convert it to clip on bars ,but now realise i need diff reservoirs and fairing so its just not practical to do that so alas she has to go.in my perfect world somone with a mint as mine BLACK mz1000ST with low miles would pull up outside my house and offer a swap :D
the funny thing is last night i had 3 calls about the bike one was from a guy in cornwall who is interested in buying it,,hes from the mzridersclub.com and another 2 complete strangers telling me i shouldnt sell as i would regret it as thre such a good bike,and after that i got 2 messages through ebay stateing the same ,,,never have i owned a bike that as inspired so much emotion

You should send Tom a msg.I sent him two dark smoke VFR tall touring shields that are somewhat like an S windscreen.He sold his bike but maybe kept the windscreens.

I have one on my SF and it works a lot better.
You're just left with yourself all the time, whatever you do anyway. You've got to get down to your own God in your own temple. It's all down to you, mate.
John Lennon
iceman

Postby GED » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:48 pm

the fairing really was the least of my probs it was the sit up and beg riding position the base of my spine got battered i did buy a pair of maxton clipons only to realise i would need 2 new reservoirs and fairing,so im really sad to say the old girl got sold today [subjest to cash changing hands]and the new owner will collect weekend,it went for he 3k i wanted which i believe to be a realistic price ,
GED

Return to 1000S