MZ 1000s

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ 1000s

Postby dave_tat » Mon May 09, 2011 3:57 pm

Hi all I'm finally back to civilisation, well South Carolina, started the bike after about 12 months and it runs like a dog,engine light is permanently on, no power, did a 120 mile run a bit of improvement, spitting back on left pipe, 20 MPG and cannot get anyone to look at it, also running very hot. starts no problem, not using any oil. done all the usual, although plugs are Iridium not the Bosch FR6DTC going back to Detroit this weekend, there is a Ducati /Aprilia dealer there they maybe able to help any suggestion really need to get on it and blast my head clear. Dave
dave_tat

Re: MZ 1000s

Postby boilermaker » Mon May 09, 2011 4:03 pm

Dave
Has the battery been disconnected for the period of storage?
boilermaker

Postby dave_tat » Mon May 09, 2011 4:22 pm

Hi Boilermaker, good to hear your still around, the bike was left on a trickle charger in Detroit but the girl who keeps an eye on the place when I'm away turned it off, there was still charge in the battery but not enough to start the bike, and this time it was lazy starting. extremely flat at take off or you had to rev the brains out to get going,performance through the gears was like ex army M20 and I tried running at 4-5000 in every gear at the lower speeds. a bit concerned to be honest
dave_tat

Postby boilermaker » Tue May 10, 2011 6:18 am

Dave
A number of possible causes spring to mind. You could try re-booting the management system by disconnecting the battery for a few hours. If that does not work then you are going to have to get a fault code reader and interrogate the management system or find a friendly bike/car dealer with one. Dont be put of by the usual dumb ass "we dont deal with MZ's or even "whats an MZ?" because all that you are asking them to do is read the fault codes. The standard 16 pin international OBD compliant socket is under the seat. Some of the numbers that may be thrown up are generic and apply to any petrol/gasoline engine, alternatively an interpretation of the non-generic MZ specific numbers can be found in the MZ manual.
There is one other nasty possibility lurking here and that is the possibility that one of the plug coils has gone down, if you find that it is in fact running on one cylinder DO NOT RIDE IT MORE THAN A FEW HUNDRED YARDS as the catalytic converter will incandesce and really piss on your day.
Let me know how you are getting on.
George
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Tue May 10, 2011 6:44 am

It ran fine when last rode? Other than sitting for about a year, it now runs like crap? I'd drain "all" the fuel out, refill with fresh fuel and some Seafoam as well as open up the airbox/check air filter and make sure you don't have vermin with a crib up in there.
LWS66

Postby dave_tat » Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 am

George and LWS66 Thanks will let you know how I get on, if you don't see a post in the next 3 weeks I've topped myself.
Dave
dave_tat

Postby boilermaker » Tue May 10, 2011 2:29 pm

Dave
Lorins point is a good one. I had assumed that you had put fresh fuel in the bike. Modern so-called Gasoline/Petrol is in fact a complex cocktail of light distillates and Ethanes etc with quite a short shelf life. My carburetted Yamaha TRX stood for a year and started and ran OK but the MZ with its sensor driven management system is a much more sensitive beast.

Lorin
Sea Foam?
boilermaker

Postby LWS66 » Tue May 10, 2011 2:39 pm

boilermaker wrote:Lorin
Sea Foam?

George,

Over here in the states it's a highly rated, by motorcyclists as well as auto users, injector/carb cleaner (as well as a crankcase additive for autos, trucks, etc) Does all sorts of good things for engines :shock: A tune-up in a bottle...a magic elixir they say.

Lorin
LWS66

Postby boilermaker » Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 pm

Lorin
Thanks for the info, I think that I will give it a try in my boat engine first.
George
boilermaker

Postby dave_tat » Wed May 11, 2011 12:42 pm

George and Lorin will try all you suggest and thanks for your help Love the bike when its right, but senility and being away for long periods certainly doesnt help the poor parked thing, Will also try and get the original spark plugs any other plug that is beneficial to this bike? check this bloke out for balancing skill but dont breath
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=jJ ... &vq=medium
Dave
dave_tat

Postby boilermaker » Tue May 31, 2011 5:56 am

Dave
Well, how did you get on?
George
boilermaker

Postby dave_tat » Tue May 31, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi George,
Replied under Tank problems, will be back in the states hopefully in July and should have a bit more time to get to the bottom of the problems ( hopefully )
Will try and keep in touch although going to spend a few days in my place in Spain and get blitzed.
Dave
dave_tat

Return to 1000S