New owner, seeking info.

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

New owner, seeking info.

Postby Triple » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:12 pm

I do not yet own an MZ1000S but I've found one I may soon purchase. I live in the states and have wanted one of these since they debuted in... 2004? 05?

In addition to the wrecked MZ mentioned in another thread (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/4914575846.html), there is this fine example currently for sale in Orange County, California:

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/4897972743.html

It isn't perfect, but the mileage is low and the price seems right. We all know how rare these are in the US and this is the first black example I've seen in a very long time. I know these bikes score very well in terms of durability/reliability but what is their current state of parts availability? I'm not concerned with finding a local dealer willing to service it (I do all of my own repair and maintenance), but if parts are nonexistent or exorbitantly expensive, we have a problem.

Does anyone know how many of these (total) were imported/sold in the states?

And lastly... anyone in SoCal interested in inspecting this bike on my behalf? I live in Georgia and if another trustworthy enthusiast gives it the thumbs-up, I'll have it crated and shipped.
Attachments
mz-ad.jpg
Triple

Re: New owner, seeking info.

Postby MZErnie » Sun Mar 08, 2015 7:59 pm

Supposedly around 30 imported into the US.Some maintenance parts are universal,such as oil filters,brake pads...Other parts I have been able to source from Grahams in the UK,but it takes a couple weeks.Some good threads on this site if you do get one.I sold my 2005' silver model,and am in the process of buyig it back.Once you have one,they are a lot of fun,and hard to get out of your system,so be prepared.Good luck!
MZErnie

Postby Triple » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:23 pm

Do you know if these bikes have any history of electrical gremlins? Specifically, problems that might cause the speedometer/odometer to read incorrectly?

The only other European sportbikes I've owned have both been Triumph Daytona 955i's, and each one suffered an electrical error that caused erratic speedometer function; sometimes it worked fine, other times it simply read "0 MPH" regardless of road speed. This caused their odometers to display far fewer miles than were actually on the bikes. When I find other older bikes with [supposedly] very low mileage, I'm always nervous something similar has occurred.

I'm tempted to buy the damaged Santa Clara bike in addition to the one in Orange County. It's cheap and a good source of parts should the black bike ever suffer some catastrophic failure.
Triple

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:05 am

some mz bikes suffer from the problem ..the guy buys it scares the crap out of his self
then lets it set for a long time then sells it

my 660 traveller had miles equal to 490 average a year in 2009
BOY did it set a lot

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby MZErnie » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:19 pm

For what the one in CA. is going for,that would be a really inexpensive insurance policy.Not heard of the speedo issue you mentioned-Mostly poor connector problems/issues.Also,keep a strong battery in them,as they can be finicky if fitted with a weak battery.Good luck!
MZErnie

Postby Triple » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:06 pm

I'm trying to work out the logistics of picking it up. Fly out and haul it home myself, have it shipped, etc. Also trying to locate a trustworthy third party to inspect it prior to purchase.

The ad for the damaged bike in Santa Clara disappeared. Disappointing.
Triple

CT Clara MZ 1000

Postby silver MZ-1000s » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:46 pm

hi guys the bike from ST Clara CA was purchased by the owner of that stolen MZ 1000SF from Utah . it will serve as a parts bike to rebiult the one and only SF in USA :) BTW that Orange CO MZ 1000s have check engine light :) and the owner dst know what is causing it . i would stay away from this one . God know what is the problem and idt that any dealer or mechanic wants to touch that bike :) good luck with that purchase .
silver MZ-1000s

Postby AJJohnson » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:55 am

Someday one of us will try and compile a list of VIN #'s and figure out how many bikes there actually are.

As for the speedo, mine reads anywhere from 5-10mph faster than actual speed. I haven't really looked into why yet.

As for maintenance, I do my own. If it ever becomes a HUGE issue, I would probably approach AF1 in Austin about it. They deal with Aprilias, but seem to be willing to tackle most anything.

Best of luck. If the black one were closer, I would purchase it myself.
2007 Moto Guzzi Griso (my holy grail)
2005 MZ1000S
2002 Moto Guzzi Lemans
2001 Honda F4i
1998 Kawasaki ZX7r
1974 Moto Guzzi "Police" California
1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado w/ Dnepr Sidecar
1972 BMW R75/5 Cafe Racer
AJJohnson

Postby MJ310 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:32 am

There were only 1566 1000cc bikes made in total, of them I have been able to account for the ones that came to the UK. 19 s models, 11 sf models and 8 st models. However I do know that a number have been sold off abroad and a couple have been crashed and a couple have been stored away so I think there are less than 5 sf's currently running about and I have an orange one. I do know of a silver s in as new condition and an st on the south coast with minor problems and a couple of sf's in wales and grahams of taunton have one. Here's mine and the set.
Attachments
101 (2).JPG
2011-08-14_13-27-37_214.jpg
MJ310

Postby petrolhead71 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:13 pm

Hi,
I am also a new (ish) owner, I bought a black SF last year, fancied one after I saw them in the bike press when they were released!
It's a stunning bike, got it running properly at long last after I finally replaced the dodgy coil pack I suspected was duff a few months ago (should have gone with my instinct on that one).
I am not sure what the optimum suspension settings are and was wondering if any members can suggest a good base set up.
Another question I have is what are cats? I read an old forum thread where someone with a duff coil suspected his cats would also be damaged, possibly need to check my cats but I don't know what they are referring to!
There is loads of useful stuff on here, obviously a very knowledgeable bunch, I am looking forward to hopefully tapping into this MZ encyclopedia!
Incidentally, I have found that the 'Tuneecu' Triumph software does appear to offer a limited functionality with the Sagem ECU fitted to the SF.
petrolhead71

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:06 pm

cats
Catalytic converter

a useless piece of junk required on bikes in the usa by epa rules
along with ethanol in the gas they usually make a nice bike run like crap

if your lucky the uk models may not have them

dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby MJ310 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:08 am

petrolhead71 wrote:Hi,
I am also a new (ish) owner, I bought a black SF last year, fancied one after I saw them in the bike press when they were released!
It's a stunning bike, got it running properly at long last after I finally replaced the dodgy coil pack I suspected was duff a few months ago (should have gone with my instinct on that one).
I am not sure what the optimum suspension settings are and was wondering if any members can suggest a good base set up.
Another question I have is what are cats? I read an old forum thread where someone with a duff coil suspected his cats would also be damaged, possibly need to check my cats but I don't know what they are referring to!
There is loads of useful stuff on here, obviously a very knowledgeable bunch, I am looking forward to hopefully tapping into this MZ encyclopedia!
Incidentally, I have found that the 'Tuneecu' Triumph software does appear to offer a limited functionality with the Sagem ECU fitted to the SF.

If you have run the bike with a coil down it's most likely that you have shagged your cats and they cannot be replaced without replacing the front pipes as they are built in (the two bulges in the exhaust pipe under the engine). As for the suspension settings go back to the base setup and take it from there, I have cranked up the spring preload a little as it's standard set up is for 75Kg (whatever that is).

Rear
Turn preload adjuster all the way out (anticlockwise) then turn it clockwise for 17 clicks, (standard) if you are keen on pies keep going to 20 or so.
Rebound damping is controlled by the ring on the bottom of the shock, turn it clockwise to the end and then back it off for 20 clicks.
Compression damping is controlled by the little wheel under the preload adjuster, turn it clockwise to the end and back it off 12 clicks.

Front
There is no preload adjustment on the forks even though it has an adjuster.
Rebound is controlled from the fork tops (handlebars do get in the way so be patient), turn it clockwise to the end and back it out 1 full turn.
Compression is controlled from the bottom of the forks, turn them all the way clockwise to the end and back them out 1 full turn.

Where abouts are you in the UK, I have only ever seen 1 other sf.
MJ310

Postby petrolhead71 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi,
Cheers for the replies chaps, I did have a fiddle with the suspension and came up with a softer setting that works much better, nice and precise!
Regarding Cat damage, the bike seems to run fine so I am hopeful this has been saved from any damage.
I am up in Staffs, you may see me around in Staffs or surrounding counties.
Chris
petrolhead71

Postby MJ310 » Sun May 03, 2015 4:10 am

Chris, don't be fooled, my bike runs beautifully but I am certain my cats are shagged. I dropped a coil when out on a ride and had to ride on so petrol will have got down to the cat and ignited, that is enough. Where did you get your bike from, is it standard or has it had any mods?
MJ310

Postby boilermaker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:03 am

Removed both cats as they are a fire risk, if one cylinder goes down they become a pulse jet, Walter Kaden would find that quite ironic.
boilermaker

Next

Return to 1000S