Gear Selector Centreing Spring Broken

News and Gossip on the upcoming MZ 1000S.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: Gear Selector Centreing Spring Broken

Postby MJ310 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:53 am

I took my clutch cover off today to try and repair my gear lever return spring but when I got the cover off my spring (item 33) is fine, gear lever still flopping about though. Grahams told me this is the most likely culprit but no, Has anyone found any other springs to have caused the problem, the spring behind (item 26) seems to have tension on it and I cannot see the other spring (item 31) without taking the clutch basket off (which is my next problem). Any help would be appreciated.
MJ310

Postby Thorsten-aus-SO » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:43 pm

Hello.

I posted your question in the German forum.

http://mz1000.motomonster.de/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2660

We will see.

Regards

Thorsten
Thorsten-aus-SO

Postby MJ310 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:34 am

Thanks very much Thorsten, I see there are a couple of replies to the post but I cannot read German, can you tell me what they say?
MJ310

Postby MJ310 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:12 am

I used google translator and read the posts, I will have to buy a clutch locking tool and basket spanner and strip it out for a proper look. Thanks for your input.
MJ310

Postby Thorsten-aus-SO » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:59 am

There had been two replies.

One from a well known dealer/mechanic . He has had the same problem with a customer bike. The spring looks ok, but was absolutely weak.

He advice to replace the spring before doing more.

Regards
Thorsten-aus-SO

Postby MJ310 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:59 am

Well I got a clutch locking tool and made a peg spanner from an old socket and striped the clutch down yesterday to see if I could finally find out what the problem was. Once I got it all apart I found the locking spring and mechanism was in very good condition but the centreing spring was slightly weak. Changed the centreing spring, rebuilt it all but could not refit clutch cover plate as the clutch had seized, lever was solid. Sorted that out buy pushing back on the clutch bearing with a metal rod before fitting the end plate and springs. Topped up the oil and took it out for a quick test, everything is working as it should now.
What really surprised me was that when I first checked the centreing spring it felt fine and still did yesterday but when compared to a new spring it was very slightly weaker, not broken or bent it does seem to be a little difference but it's all working now.
MJ310

Previous

Return to 1000S