TS250 Shocks and special tools

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS250 Shocks and special tools

Postby NVA250 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:39 am

Morning all,
I'm having a few issues with my money pit of a TS250 rebuild...
I have bought some replacement rear Shocks of dubious quality but the original bike had the metal dust sleeves fitted to the springs. I've cleaned up the old sleeves and tried to fit them to the new springs but I've failed miserably! The lower half of the sleeve is too tight on the spring, have tried lube, honing and evening spring compressors and all its done is make a mess.

Does anyone have a spare set of sleeved shocks or even a couple of springs that might be thinner?

Also had an issue stripping the 4 speed engine down. I cannot get the clutch off! I bought a puller a couple of months ago but it's too large so I think it's probably for the later 5 speed engine. Does anyone have a correct puller that I could borrow? I would buy another one but struggling a bit with monet at the moment!

Cheers now! Tim
1974(ish) MZ TS250 - ex East German Army
1989 Trabant 601 Kombi
NVA250

Re: TS250 Shocks and special tools

Postby AlanJ » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi,
Re your problem with the dust covers. Now what I am about to say will only work if the tightness is not too servere you could plannish the covers to stretch and slide over the springs, to do that, you need a vice and a piece of steel pipe as big as you can get into the sleeves. Slide the sleeve over the pipe and then hammer stretch rotating as you go. If this doesn't make sense to you, PM me and I will give you my phone number.
Wish you well Alan.
AlanJ

Postby NVA250 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

AlanJ wrote:Hi,
Re your problem with the dust covers. Now what I am about to say will only work if the tightness is not too servere you could plannish the covers to stretch and slide over the springs, to do that, you need a vice and a piece of steel pipe as big as you can get into the sleeves. Slide the sleeve over the pipe and then hammer stretch rotating as you go. If this doesn't make sense to you, PM me and I will give you my phone number.
Wish you well Alan.

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the advice. I have tried everything I can think of, short of your pipe suggestion (which does make sense BTW), and had enough. One of the lower parts of the sleeves is now quite mangled thanks to my efforts!

I'm going to either try to get a thinner spring or, more likely, a complete set of shocks with covers. A shame as just a little bit more time and expense.

Thanks for the advice Tim
1989 Trabant 601 Kombi
NVA250

Postby AlanJ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 am

Hi Tim,
Just had a look in os2rad.com and under the left side heading look in ES 175 250 300, now, I don't know weather these would solve your problem with the rear shocks with shipping at 12eu, but maybe? Thinking, if everything else fails could you get those covers to me as I was a silversmith in my early years so I may be able to help.
Anyway Tim Have a good one, Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:51 am

Hi Tim,
Just had a look in The MZ shop in uk and they have a set of chrome shrouds for 68 quid + shipping. Under the ES heading.
Alan.
AlanJ

Postby NVA250 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:43 pm

Evening all,

Thanks for the replies. The shrouds are now sorted as I admitted defeat and just bought a whole new set of shocks and shrouds from ost2rad.de. In the end I'm glad I did as the quality is so much better and the price wasn't unreasonable.

T
1989 Trabant 601 Kombi
NVA250

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk