Help Leaking Drain Plug, Previously Helicoiled

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Help Leaking Drain Plug, Previously Helicoiled

Postby James death » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Hi All,
Was Due to collect the 2004 Baghira, stunning condition and in yellow.
The yellow hand guards arrived today ripped open packet eagerly.
Then got message to ring seller to be informed, he had chainged oil this year tightened to the 30nm on drain plug.
Checking it over before collection, he noticed weep from drain plug.
Nipped it up but next day still weeping.
He ordered new crush washers incase its that and since old nut was rather rounded he ordered new bolt.
He went to fit today and when removing bolt it came away with remenents of a helicoil it seams.
Now what are your thoughts on this please, as its already been helicoiled and now would need doing again and all the issues of swarf in the case with failed helicoil and then needing drilling again or would another helicoil screw into original, im not up on helicoil fitments etc.
If this could be done safely i would then get one of the one way valve jobies so never needing to unscrew the bolt again.
But i fear i will have to walk away from this as other than a full stripdown you have the doubt of swarf being in the case and subsequent failure.
All help greatly appreciated.
James
James death

Re: Help Leaking Drain Plug, Previously Helicoiled

Postby James death » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Well still going to view the bike Saturday,
I had hoped there may be a bit of guidance from fellow members, as to how much of an issue this is.
With out any advice it looks like im going to have to walk away from this.
James death

Postby Puffs » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:06 am

Sorry James, while I've had several XT's I cannot remember what that drain plug looks like.

I'm sure there's a cheap fix that can be rigged, but long term reliability may not be guaranteed and an 'official' repair could possibly be quite expensive. Bargaining issue? For you to take a view.
Puffs

Postby James death » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Thanks Sir, actually looks in daylight that its the threads that have stripped, sale not going ahead now.
However i have said i would like first refusal when its sorted.
He has ordered a 15mm tap and a bolt but if that does not do it he is going to then have to drill and helicoil it.
I cant seam to find a stahlbus in 15mm they do the original bolt size of 14mm and if it was helicoiled back to 14mm i would certainly want to fit one so no more risk of thread damage.
Oh Hum.
Thanks again,
James
James death

Postby Puffs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:48 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby James death » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:24 am

Thanks again,
It seams its the original threads that have stripped, so had not been helicoiled.
Hence he is going to try and take to 15mm, with the drain plug on the Baghira being on the side of the engine, catching it i hope would not be such an issue.
If it had already been helicoiled then taking to a larger than 15mm would be more of an option, however as it seams its the original threads he is trying to avoid having to re drill it and the bigger risk of getting fillings/swarf in the engine.
Fingers crossed.
James death

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk