MZ ETZ 250 Clutch Cable

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ ETZ 250 Clutch Cable

Postby shamg1 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:20 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased a MZ ETZ 250 which had its kickstarter in pieces and clutch. I have assembled that but I cannot figure out how to gain tension in the clutch cable. I have attached it the retaining arm correctly but it almost seems as though it is too long when attached to the clutch lever. I read that you must use the clutch adjusting plate but I'm not sure how. Also the rubber dust cap does a poor job of holding the rubber cable in place and it slides in and out.

So, does anyone have any tips or useful knowledge of correctly installing the clutch cable?

Many thanks.
shamg1

Re: MZ ETZ 250 Clutch Cable

Postby Kruh » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:35 pm

I'd suggeset watching the engine assembly video on youtube. It explains it well.

But basically, you just spin that adjusting plate in order move the arm in and out. You just need to get the "A" measurement to 11 mm. The finer adjusment is done with the cable adjuster on the handlebar.

Kruh

Postby shamg1 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:56 am

Thank you, this explains what was meant by the measurements in the manual and good heads up on the video. If anyone has any other diagrams/drawings related to this they would be much appreciated!
shamg1

Postby Blurredman » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:02 am

I myself think the factory video is a god-send!

Truely built to accomodate the population who have half decent skills at keeping themselves going, rather than relying on a garage..
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby shamg1 » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:19 am

Okay I think I’ve hooked everything up right with the 11mm space but when I pull the clutch lever in, and release, the clutch lever doesn’t go back unless pushed, could the retaining arm spring be no good? It seems okay.
shamg1

Postby Kruh » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:28 am

No, that spring doesn't pull the cable that much.
Atleast not in this case. As I understand, the lever doesn't go back from full pulled pisition.

The clutch springs push that arm which then turns and pulls back the cable. That arm is mounted via a "thread", and just like a nut it moves in and out as you turn it.
If those "threads" don't engage properly it can get stuck. It could be becouse of debry, damage or something like that. That seems most likely, based on your description.

Since you just repaired it i don't know if you have oil in it alredy or not. Might just need some oil to get to it.

The issue could also be a bad sticky cable and/lever.

So check the cable (if you haven't already).
Then put oil in (if you haven't already). And start it up to get the oil going; maybe even lean it to the left side. And then try the clutch.

If you still got nothing. You'll probably have to take the whole left cover off and investigate further...
Kruh

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk