Brake light woes. Need help

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Brake light woes. Need help

Postby Eomund » Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:55 pm

I have the ol girl running and perfectly. Only thing to get worked out is the brake lights.

I replaced the light. Problem is the wiring has been badly tampered with. I posted up the wiring diagram that I have. But I need more info. The image is missing info as it's cropped at the bottom. If I could get pics or something of how they are ran or something would be a great help. If you need info from me, let me know too. But at this point I need some guidance. The wiring is so messed up I'm having trouble figuring out where it needs to come and go from.

THanks!
Eomund

Re: Brake light woes. Need help

Postby Puffs » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:13 am

If your pic is damaged, have a look at http://www.miraculis.de/aw/download/mz/ts1215r.zip, chapter 5, pic 80 or 81 (without/with indicator lights).
Puffs

Postby Eomund » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:55 pm

That helped but only a bit. The schematic I have is complete. But the text at the bottom is cut off. Trying to trace this through the schematics and in real life is got me spinning.

It looks like power should be coming directly from the coil to the brake lights (as well as supplying power to the horns, head lights and other bits throught the junction box in the headlamp.

Problem is, I can trace where the wiring goes to the cluster under the headlamp. See here: https://imgur.com/a/9H8HCii

But I don't see how it's supposed to be supplying power to the brake lights. Should there be a second wire directly from the coil? How should it hook up into the white junction box? And how does the brake switch hook up? Without pictures, I just have vague information.

But from what I can tell. From the schematic, the wire to the brake light should be going directly to the light itself: https://imgur.com/gallery/gNfd3z8

Now here is an additional confusion. The brake light might get power from the coil. Then that means the brake switches are acting as a ground am I right? Then should there be a 2 bulb setup? What's in the bike is a dual element bulb with a single ground. So if I give the brake light power, it is just on. And the brake switches only have 1 wire coming from them. So they are not an inbetween like I've dealt with on other vehicles.

I am very sincerely looking for help and pictures if you have them. Or if you could take them. I am willing to offer to pay for them via paypal even. I mean this. I need to SEE what I'm working on as the schematics are more than a little vague, and might be actually incorrect.
Eomund

Postby Puffs » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:42 am

Sorry, I do not have any other pics.

IMO a brake light really is quite simple: take the +6V, and go via 1 or 2 switches to the tail light. Sometimes those switches are connected to the brake pedal/lever, sometimes there is one in the brake backing plate, I don't know how they did it in your bike.

Good luck!
Puffs

Postby Eomund » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:06 am

Puffs wrote:Sorry, I do not have any other pics.

IMO a brake light really is quite simple: take the +6V, and go via 1 or 2 switches to the tail light. Sometimes those switches are connected to the brake pedal/lever, sometimes there is one in the brake backing plate, I don't know how they did it in your bike.

Good luck!

I've actually completely figured it out. The way the lights are powered is the live wire comes directly from the coil to the light. The ground wires go to the switches. The switches are an open ground, and hitting the brakes makes the connection.

On my bike there are 2 issues, which is why I couldn't figure it out for a bit. First, the wire from the coil was missing. They only had the wire running up to the cluster, and was missing the brake power line. Then there is the brake light itself. Stock it's supposed to have 2 lights. And how the wires are run, this is important. The light that was installed on my bike I randomly found is from an old suzuki and is setup for a dual element bulb. The problem with that, is they have a shared ground. Making it so the switches for the brakes can't work at all.

Long and short, I just need to run 1 power wire from the coil. But I need to replace my tail light setup. I was linked to the OEM setup. But because of shipping to the states from Germany, it's more than I can spend right now. I've found a similar setup for an old Harley that is affordable, so I'll probably order one of those and I'm considering customizing it to something that looks a little more correct for the bike. I'll eventually order the correct one. But for now it's more than I wanna spend.
Eomund

Postby Blurredman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:34 am

I'm not I have linked this.
So here we go:

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehic ... _TS125.jpg
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk