More Bearing Fun (or have you bought a duff one?)

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

More Bearing Fun (or have you bought a duff one?)

Postby nice2day » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:47 pm

As regular readers would know I bought the new C3 main bearings made by FAG in Portugal. (I'm a sucker for EBAY and cheapo prices).

I have to say I found them a bit notchy even after oiling them. Hmmmm...Perhaps these are FAKE bearings I thought, so did a search and low and behold fake bearings, it seems, are rife in this nasty cheating world of ours.

Anyway after doing some searching I found the following anti-fraud site sponsored by the major bearing manufacturers (WBA) This site has an app download that allows you to scan, from a SMART phone, the QR code that is on the label of the box the bearing is sold in.
Well I downloaded it and did the scan...In a second, it reads the picture and gives its verdict...Well in my case they are supposed to be genuine, but being the paranoid type of bloke I am, it makes me think that surely if someone was making fake bearings all they have to do is copy the QR code? :?
Anyway I guess I'll have to trust the app and relax...maybe the notchiness will soon wear away :( :( :(

Here is the download site...Give it a go, you'll either be happy or mad when you realise its probably too late to get your money back. :smt021 :lol: :lol: :lol:
https://www.stopfakebearings.com/#protectyourself

Les

PS: Maybe I should have bought SKF bearings?....What's your thoughts on this or is there no difference?...If SKF is everyone choice I can see myself buying a 3rd set....I just love wasting money.... NOT :smt010
nice2day

Re: More Bearing Fun (or have you bought a duff one?)

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:11 pm

i had a 1974 r90s BMW every bearing in the transmission
that went bad said made in USA
dave

if you have the 5 speed in those bikes lay bike in its side and put a full QUART IN IT
after i started doing that i never lost any more bearings..
the fill hole was too low in the transmission..on mine
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: More Bearing Fun (or have you bought a duff one?)

Postby Blurredman » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:23 pm

I have known about counterfeit bearings for a few years now, and the advertising of such a thing has become more pronounced in recent years, so it is no surprise to me. But I have also had new 'named' bearings come that might be considered a little loose, but in the end I've never actually had a bearing blow out on me- not saying it won't happen..

I tend to buy all my bearings off e-bay too.
But I have no preference to a certain make.. Tend to go for the reasonably cheapest.. (not too cheap that it seems too good).

NTN, Koyo, SFK, FAG, SNH (bearing sets from Ost2Rad supply those-Not to be confused with HNS- it can be read upside down as so..),NSK, THK.

As I say, I have no loyalty- all the biggest (apparently because they're the best..) are much of a muchness. If they're easy bearings to remove, like wheel bearings I'm not concerned too much. Those spare wheels which I have renently put tubes and tyres on, now have pairs of bearings that are no-name, and cost £1.90 for two.. I don't understand how the seller makes any money when the postage costs £1.40.. The reason I bought these cheapo bearings were not because of longevity, but I didn't want to put any money in new bearings on wheels that might be oval drumed or warped disced and quite frankly may not last long before a spoke broke anyway..!

But.. Those are temporary, and as I say. EASY bearings to replace.. Engine bearings are a different story indeed.

I have downloaded the application, and I have a spare koyo bearing still in it's box which I will try this on :)

As for QR codes, that's a good point. I wonder how they could tell a fake QR code? I assume they're changed quite regularly, but there must be a database of old QR codes for old bearings that have been on the shelf, and if that's the case, then a fake bearing with a fake QR code or a bearing with a genuine but OLD qr code would both come up as the same result, being genuine or counterfeit, depending on how the database is used-surely? :?:
Last edited by Blurredman on Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

A

Postby Puffs » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:42 am

Apparently those bearings cost the trader 10p each? Surely easily replaced, but still maybe not the first choice for your next round trip to Vladivostok. But knowing the background, in your case I'd bought those too for that wheel.

I wasn't aware imitation bearings existed, nor that there was a detection app - ta Les.

FAG should be OK. Yes, in 2020 FAG can come from Portugal. And Michelin from Brazil, Pirelli from Germany, Continental from Spain, and Audi from Belgium. The country of origin should have no impact on the quality, we are led to believe.

Like Blurredman, I'm not particularly choosy either. I think FAG & SKF should be on par, but I'm no expert on bearings.
Puffs

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk