Es250 speedo

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Es250 speedo

Postby Hunyani » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:14 pm

I am refurbishing my speedo, anyone any idea how to remove the speedo needle?
Hunyani

Re: Es250 speedo

Postby nice2day » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:41 am

Hi there...With most speedo's, the needle simply pushes on to its spindle. From experience they can be very tight and there is an immense worry that when trying to pull the needle off you might damage the spindle and the mechanism that drives it. Unfortunately there is no easy way. What you might be able to try though, is packing the face of the dial with something like cardboard or plastic. Then position a small piece of metal (small coin?) on top of this cushion to allow you to prise the needle off by twisting a screwdriver blade/s* . Perhaps you could make a sort of miniature crowbar** to lever it off? I would not attempt to use piers to pull it off it will surely damage the needle.

2nd suggestion: You might also be able to fit the mechanism back into into its case without the glass but secured by its rear screws. Then bridge across the face with a piece of thin steel bent to a shape that crosses just below the needle boss and then lever against this.* If this can be made up, it will save levering on the actual dial face (even the protected face ). This last way (IF AT ALL POSSIBLE) would be my choice. Use great care at all times which is pretty obvious isn't it... :wink:

PS: * If at all possible use 2x levers (screwdrivers) on opposite sides of the boss to twist simultaneously as this will create a more direct and even lift thrust on the needle boss and will be more likely to pop the needle off.

Speedo needle crowbar.JPG

Les
nice2day

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk