Qs: 2001 Skorpion 660 engine parts selection

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Qs: 2001 Skorpion 660 engine parts selection

Postby Scott » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:27 pm

Hello Gentlemen. A 2001 MuZ Skorpion Tour is coming my way, and I want to run my best engine overhaul ideas past you all. General Sport riding through hilly back roads is the goal, not racing, but I want a good feel to it.

Bottom end: are there better transmission gears to swap in? Should I add a solid balancer gear, maybe from Slipstream Tuning? Does someone lighten the flywheel? Does a Raptor rod kit fit, if crank needs rebuilding? Are aftermarket, improved oil pumps suggested? Maybe Ignitech Sparker TCIP4 to reprogram curve. Any other suggestions?

Top End: Best ideas so far are 102mm 11:1 forged piston, either in a kit (with nice cylinder studs) with cylinder or boring my cylinder. Hotcams 2 with spring kit- I believe that combination allows clearance for stock valve guides/seals. True? Best choice? Sudco's $1,505 FCR dual 35mm kit, UNI foam filters or tuned length intake boots may be worth it. How defective is the stock carb system? Maybe leave it stock. Running sharp and right is important...

Head work: I imagine examining the ports and removing casting flash lines and matching to the chosen carb boots, plus whatever suggestions you all may have related to the porting, would be good. General purpose engine.

Pipe- are the stock head pipes too small diameter to run well with above combination of cam/piston/carbs? Fairly quiet is good. I could have a reverse cone megaphone system made if I knew the best pipe diameters, lengths, collector size, megaphone cone size/length & silencer diameter/ length for this level build. Otherwise, the pipe guy will guess.

Surely I have overlooked a lot of things particular to these 660s, which are new to me. Please chime in!

Thank you!
Scott Gordon
Scott

Re: Qs: 2001 Skorpion 660 engine parts selection

Postby droy » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Scott

I'd recommend doing a search on the 660 board for Bill J or the Café Racer thread and if your on Facebook there is the International MuZ Skorpion group that has a ton of info
[b]Gang of Four
1997 Replica
1995 Sport (Converted to Tour)
1996 Sport (Café Racer Project)
1996 Tour (Track Day Project)
Montclair, NJ USA
droy

Re: Qs: 2001 Skorpion 660 engine parts selection

Postby brianb » Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:22 pm

can you tell me what carbs came stock on the 1996 scorpion sport 660 make and size?
brianb

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk