Skorpion steering damper

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion steering damper

Postby thunderalley3 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:06 pm

Could someone point me in the right direction for a steering damper for a 2001 Skorpion?

I am not trying to correct/cover up a steering issue, it is required in one of the organizations I race with.

Thanks
thunderalley3

Re: Skorpion steering damper

Postby Puffs » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:11 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby breakwellmz » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:31 am

Why on earth would anyone want to spend that much on a damper for the MZ apart from trying to double it`s value? :roll:
There are far cheaper, more appropriate options out there thunderalley3.
breakwellmz

Postby Puffs » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:53 am

Instead of pointless criticism (I didn't say 'buy this', I said 'like this'), you better just point him in the right direction then.

I'd find a suitable 2nd hand one locally; how much anyone wants to spend on his hobby is up to him.
Puffs

Postby Puffs » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:18 am

Here a similar way to fit a steering damper:
Steering damper between crown plate & dash.jpg
Similar to how they did it on the R1 in the link above, only here on the top crown plate. Just to give ideas/pointers.
Puffs

Postby thunderalley3 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:03 pm

Thanks for the picture Puffs, that was what I was looking for as far as what the positioning was that they used.

I know that they are crazy expensive and I always try to source used pieces when I can. I ride with an organization that requires steering dampers to get on track so I am looking for ideas. I have fit numerous dampers from all types of bikes on bikes that they were not made for so I can usually find a cheap alternative once I get a basic idea on what was used.

I did hit a snag with my XR1200 a while ago and had to buy the "kit" that was available because it was the only way out. Still recovering from that $$$$$$$$$

Thanks for the ideas
thunderalley3

Postby Puffs » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:57 am

There are cheaper dampers available on eBay, in the $30 range, or directly from China: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch or https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003 ... mainSearch If those are any good I wouldn't know.
Puffs

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk