New piston for MZ ES250/2 Trophy

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

New piston for MZ ES250/2 Trophy

Postby EmzedRay » Fri May 06, 2022 1:26 pm

Hello. I am new to the Forum. I have recently bought a nice blue and cream ES250/2 Trophy and have removed the piston which was rattling somewhat. The piston is a Mega 7 marked 68.96. It also has a 4 and a 2.3 stamped on the crown. I think this is the original piston?

The piston sides are very worn and scored, but the bore of the barrel looks shiny and pretty much unmarked. The piston when fitted in the barrel with the rings in place can be wiggled about, but not by a huge amount. I am torn between just fitting a new standard replacement piston or getting a 1st oversize piston and having the barrel rebored and honed. What would you recommend?

Now for some more questions:-

1) What piston to fit? What make and where to get it from? I have found these people and this looks like the exact same piston that I have:-

https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 9/c/_/_/?_

Any recommendations or other options?

2) The above listing mentions an "N" marking and conrods guided at the top. I can see no N marking on my original piston. What should I fit? They have pistons with and without the N marking.

3) If I go for the 1st oversize piston and the rebore, what size piston should I fit? Should I go straight to a 70mm? Also what piston/bore clearance should I specify to the workshop? I see mention of 0.04mm and also 0.05mm for easier running in?

4) What thickness metal head gasket should I fit - 0.2mm or 0.4mm? Will the thinner one give any meaningful compression benefit? Why are there different thicknesses available?

I look forward to your feedback, comments and recommendations.

Many thanks, Ray
EmzedRay

Re: New piston for MZ ES250/2 Trophy

Postby Puffs » Sat May 07, 2022 3:57 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
Puffs

Postby EmzedRay » Sat May 07, 2022 5:00 am

Puffs, very many thanks for your comprehensive reply. Much appreciated. Things are getting a bit clearer.

The remaining questions are whether to rebore and go first oversize and then whether I need a piston centralised at the top. Also, whether to go 0.02 or 0.04 for the head gasket, and where to get the piston from. I will do some more research, but any additional comments from the Forum are most welcome.

Do you know where I can get a manual for my ES2? Is there a free download anywhere?

Thanks again, Ray

PS: I live in East Sussex, but have a flat in Bristol. Not there this Sunday though. How often are the Bristol meets?
EmzedRay

Postby Kruh » Sat May 07, 2022 6:19 am

Here you go, I've attached the manual below.

As far as the headgasket goes. It varies a bit from cylinder to cylinder and the base gasket thickness. Best practice is to buy both (they're cheap) and then when assembled, check the squish clearance using the solder method. When you dissassemble the top end, measure the headgasket thickness, most likely, thats the size you will need.
Attachments
mz_es_175_2_250_2_repair_manual_1969_english_100.pdf
(7.21 MiB) Downloaded 1078 times
Kruh

Postby Puffs » Sat May 07, 2022 7:32 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby EmzedRay » Sun May 08, 2022 7:15 am

Many thanks for the additional input from various parties. All much appreciated.

I guess the remaining question I have is whether the conrod is guided from the top or the bottom on ES250/2. Here: https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 9/c/_/_/?_ they talk of the piston being marked with an N to indicate if the piston is top or bottom guided.

There is no N I can see on my existing piston which seems to suggest it is a "guided from the top" piston.

Does anyone know the answer to this one?

Cheers, Ray
EmzedRay

Postby EmzedRay » Sun May 08, 2022 7:21 am

Just looked at Page 21 of the Manual and is says "the connecting rod is guided by the small end bush" in bold!

I guess that is the answer then and is in line with there being no N on my piston?

Any thoughts?
EmzedRay

Postby Blurredman » Mon May 09, 2022 3:06 am

Sorry to get here so late, esspecially as I have (relatively recently) come under ownership of an ES250 myself and have gained a fair amount of information about the bikes since.

I am glad you have the colour manual, provided by Kruh, initially I had the b+w (plus the original book) but the colour scanned copy is great quality and helps somewhat for the wiring diagramme (the colours aren't related to the wire colour though, but their job (lighting, charging, ignition etc), so bear that in mind!

My FTP also includes the ETS250 manual (as well as many other MZ stuff), which serves additionally as an addendum to the later imported ES250/2 bikes, with their different jetting and slight improvements that are obviously not included in the original '69 manual. Essentially, the later ES250's are the same rated (apparently) 21hp as the TS, the ETZ etc as opposed to the 17.5hp of the original '69 release models. Which also brings me onto the wiring diagramme in the manual briefly, because it seems like some colours of wires were changed a little after the manual came out, but it's fairly intuitive (any help required let me know).

Anyway, you're in the UK, and you're therefore likely to have a 1970/1971/1972 bike (likely registered later) which is what my experience tells me based on bikes I have seen both in person and on the Internet on what was typically imported to the UK at the time. And I say this (please confirm?) because I suspect you will also require the ETS250 manual as mentioned. Link below. (EDIT: I have attached the document to this post incase my server in unreachable).

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehic ... Manual.pdf

I didn't notice any marking on the top of my piston either, when I re-assembled it, but I honestly wasn't looking, though it is definitely centred from the top. I noticed mine was standard '0' first size though.

The MZ club meet (bristol section) is every 2nd sunday of the month. I was indeed there yesterday and there was a nice turn out. If you happen to be in the area on the particular dates, then it is a nice day so do visit. I actually live in S. Wales, and it's a 110 mile round journey so for me it's a nice enough ride too.
Attachments
MZ_ETS250-1970-Official_Service_Manual.pdf
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 1065 times
Last edited by Blurredman on Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby EmzedRay » Mon May 09, 2022 9:51 am

I have worked out that I need a 1st oversize (69.50mm) piston, con-rod top guide version (to suit an ES250). Searching around I have found one manufactured/branded "Almot".

Are these considered to be any good? Any other suggestions?

Many thanks!

Ray
EmzedRay

Postby EmzedRay » Mon May 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Blurredman, your comments about the ES250/2 and the later sportier ETS are interesting.

My ES250/2 was registered in the UK in Feb 1974, but I do not know when it was manufactured. It is the Trophy style with the fancy all in one headlamp cowl that marries up with the tank.

The Engine number is 4748331 and the Frame 1429262. Would those give a clue to what motor it has in it? The badge on the rear mudguard definitely says ES250/2 and that looks original.

Would be nice if it was the later 21hp motor!
EmzedRay

Postby Puffs » Tue May 10, 2022 2:57 am

Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Tue May 10, 2022 3:02 am

Hi,

Mine was registered in May 1974! They were officially manufactured between Feb '67 until March '73 apparently. So, if it's original the bike, you've got the later engine.. In terms of piston guidance, I had lots (like quarter inch) bottom conrod sideways movement.. If you have that, then I suppose you have top guidance.

There are a few tell tale things to look for, If your coil is original, it should have the manufacture date on the back of that, if your generator is original, you should also have a date on that (if it hasn't rubbed of) and also the rear of the headlamp bowl. But additionally, is if you remove the rear light lens (and surround) - (probably the easiest and quickest to remove that). The bulb holder unit will have a date stamp on it too. This will give you the manufacture of that part. Of course, all these items may not be original to the bike and been replaced in the last 50 years, but you could look at them all and gleam any correlation from them.... It might also say on the frame stamp information plate. But, if it's like mine it is unreadable. I personally haven't come accross a database/document that lists engine/frame numbers for manufacture dates, not to say one doesn't exist of course.

Interestingly though despite your earlier registration, I just had a look at what my V5 says my frame and engine number are, and mine appears like it might be earlier than yours- my rear lamp bulb holder is dated last quarter (IV) 1972. Engine: 4743106, Frame: 1424612. So yours could be a '73? The above information about finding the age will hopefully tell us! :smt004 :smt004 It just goes to show, registration date is not to be believed.

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Wed May 11, 2022 1:39 am

Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby EmzedRay » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:58 pm

Returning to this thread, here is an update. I have managed to source an original 1st oversize piston from these good people:-

https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 250_2/_/?_

It is a 69.50 top guided piston and the barrel and piston have just gone away for the rebore - 0.04mm clearance as per the manual.

Exciting stuff!

Now for a question: When I reassemble the top end I intend to check/set the ignition timing to 3mm BTDC, which will be easier to measure while the head is off (especially with the angled plug hole out of the way). I understand this must be set with the advance flyweights set fully open. What is the way to fix them open? Is there a particular technique for that?

Any other tips for getting the timing spot on? Is a timing disc easier/better?

Many thanks for any tips or advice,

Ray
EmzedRay

Postby Blurredman » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:25 am

I honestly don't know if you'd have the starting flyweights. Are you able to take pictures of the bike (for fun) and the generator to see if you have them? Mine doesn't and I seem to have an earlier vehicle.

Good job on the piston.. But be sure to run it in gingerly!

Blurredman

Next

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk