ETZ251 charging light

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ETZ251 charging light

Postby Blurredman » Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:57 am

Hi guys,

My charge light is sometimes very dimmly coming on when riding my 251. It's extremely dim to see it at all in the daylight, but I have a voltage output gauge that I've had strapped to the handlebar since 2016, so I can see when specifically the battery sometimes doesn't receive any charge.

So far I have replaced the brushes and brush holder. But I have also tried a different rotor too actually. The items themselves all look in fair condition and with good wear still remaining.

My next point to look at, although I have a feeling I have already tested it out breifly, is to change the voltage regulator. Currently I have got a solid state one which was on the bike when I bought it (has now covered almost 20k miles in my ownership, I have no idea how long the item has been on the bike before that) - though I have plenty of mechanical ones to try out.

However, part of me thinks it is not the voltage regulator, because sometimes the charging is intermittent, both starting/stopping whilst riding. And sometimes, it is a little gamble as to whether the red charge light will be illuminated when I turn on the ignition, sometimes it is not. So I don't think the voltage regulator itself would be required in that instance? Only the brush connection to the slip rings?

Personally I think it could also just be the green and blue cable between stator and regulator (DF) could be defective in some way? However one of the last time I noticed this issue, removing the brush cage and putting it back seemed to fix the problem. Though I suppose this could be coincidental...?

Curious as to whether anybody has any pointers please?

:)
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Re: ETZ251 charging light

Postby Puffs » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:43 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:48 pm

an old timer said once that The indicator bulb in some systems ISpart of the system
his fix was a new oem bulb in a good cleam lamp socket with a goog tined wire to the point bring measured
he ran h[size=150]4[/size] 6v bulbs in his 6v bmw bikes had a relay on thehandle bar switch to lower current i h/l handle bar sw
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Blurredman » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:11 am

Aha. So in my attempt to replace the regulator with one I know works, I had to move out of the way the electronic ignition 'box' that is mounted via the the main earth point adjacent to the terminal box on the air box. When I loosened the electronic ignition box, an earth wire came out despite not yet removing the bolt. The earth wire that came out was the one that leads to the regulator! Picture attached is how i've always had the electronic ignition box mounted utilising the main earth bolt as a way of keeping the EI box secure.

So, it becomes apparent that I hadn't put the hold down bolt through wire terminal 'eye' and it must have been just squashed down there amongst the other earth wires, sometimes making a connection, and sometimes not.

As it is- I still replaced the regulator but i'll use the bike and keep a track of what happens. If all goes well, I'll reconnect the old regulator and that will confirm/deny the fault was with regulator or indeed as it seems merely this earth wire...
Attachments
mz-lectrics1.jpg

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:50 am

Good! Let's hope its just the earth cable.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:32 am

Ah.

So this has seemingly not been resolved by a different regulator and fixing the earth wire properly... The charge light came on briefly today whilst doing about 50mph (not that speed has necessarily ever been a connecting factor- just thought i'd point it out), for approximately 10-20 seconds. But this time had a bright red charge light as opposed to a dim one (maybe because it is dark, or indeed maybe because the earth is being properly utilised(?)). But then the light went out and I could see in my voltage display that it was charging and it continued to do so without interruption for the rest of the journey... Definitely looks like it will be a problematic one to fix, perhaps. :x

But I think the next thing to check I suppose is the blue/green wire from generator to fuse box, then fuse box to regulator, including the connection at the fuse box.. But also, it might be worth replacing the rectifier itself too with one I know that works. Perhaps there are dry joints on the rectifier unit...obviously I can fix these, but using a known replacement would give me the quick fix. I suppose I could start experimenting by removing wires from the generator end whilst the bike is running and see what effect this has on the charge light (perhaps) as that might give me a little indication on where I need to focus my input.

12v_ETZ_251.jpg

Blurredman

Postby Puffs » Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:44 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Puffs

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk