TS250 clutch distance spacer - wha?

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS250 clutch distance spacer - wha?

Postby ekirtz » Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:02 am

Today I removed the clutch cover on my TS250 4-speed in order to have a look at what's happening under there. I was planning to remove the clutch and check clutch driver end play - it's got quite a rattle, which goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in - but it turns out my clutch puller was not what I thought it was - so thusly I ended up just putting everything back together....BUT - that's not my question.

My question is....I noticed that the "distance spacer", i.e. part number 05-44.119, (the very first thing on the shaft after you remove the clutch side cover and the clutch actuating mechanism contained in the cover, not the spacers/shims behind the clutch) - is....very...strange. The I.D. of the spacer is much larger than the O.D. of the shaft it is on. You could fit a toothpick in between the spacer and the shaft, no need for feeler gauges! So the question (at long last) is...Why? What is going on? Can it possibly be by design? I've thought about what the spacer is doing when the engine is running and am not sure what conclusion I have reached. When the clutch actuator and clutch sidecover are installed is it held stationary? Does it just hang loosely as the crankshaft spins below it? It's not wearing the crankshaft, and I'd be amazed if somehow the crankshaft had worn the spacer so heroically, especially after only 3K miles.

There doesn't seem to be any missing parts, and the clutch works very nicely (although my standards may be quite low due to a lifetime of riding ridiculous and horrible motorcycles). I suppose it doesn't really matter...but I sure would like to know.

Well? Anyone out there have nothing better to do than chime in on this? Is this spacer just wrong? Or just right?

(I know, I know....I should have taken pictures and measurements. In the heat of battle it didn't cross my mind. I'll be in there again in two weeks when I get the correct clutch puller. I'll do it then)

Eli
ekirtz

Re: TS250 clutch distance spacer - wha?

Postby Guesi » Sun Jun 18, 2023 10:52 pm

.Hello
The original measurements for this part are:
High 12 mm, Outer diameter 22mm, Inner diameter 15,75 mm.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Re: TS250 clutch distance spacer - wha?

Postby ekirtz » Mon Jun 19, 2023 12:00 am

Aha! Thank you for this info! I'll be measuring it next time I'm in there, which should be soon. And kicking myself for not measuring it when it was in my hand.
ekirtz

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk