Back to the carb issue

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Back to the carb issue

Postby -8- » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:47 pm

All right, back to the carb issue. I take it this isn't a good sign... (8)
Attachments
PICT0005.JPG
Air box FULL of Sunoco Ultra. Big badda boom!
PICT0005.JPG (178.65 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Last edited by -8- on Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-8-

Postby -8- » Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:30 pm

cat-tard was right on the money. Drained the oil...I mean the fuel/oil mix. Holy crap what a mess! :shock: Thanks for the heads-up! Was there a way to avoid this? Anyway, I will let it sit and hopefully dry out. What else will I need to do?

While I am at it, how do I bypass the charcoal canister and reconnect the hoses properly?
-8-

Postby Brian » Fri Jun 18, 2004 12:37 am

thats why we love her !!... man o man that looks scary ........

nice Schucks bike lift... Me got one too !!!
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Postby -8- » Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:45 am

What do I need to do next? The cranckcase is drained, oil filter out, now how do I make sure it's clear AND more importantly, how do I make sure that when I put it all back together it won't fill right back up? Still confused how this all started.
-8-

Postby -8- » Fri Jun 18, 2004 2:48 pm

I wanted to post this from MZ in case someone else needs it.

Mark; The condition you described unfortunatly is not to uncommon.This is usually caused by expansion in the fuel tank.because it is a closed system the only place it can vent is into the air box.Pressure inside the fuel tank will overcome the float needles forcing fuel into the fuel vapor purge system.First,move the bike outside to a well vented area then turn the fuel petcock to the OFF position.Next disconnect the purge canister,(remove all lines and let them hang open)remove the seat and air filter, remove any fuel left in the airbow and let it dry, BE CAREFUL! drain the crankcase,remove and clean the oil filter, reinstall,refill with petrolium based oil(non synthetic)this will allow the rings to seat faster after the fuel washed away the oil.after the fuel has evaporated reoil the air filter with foam filter oil.turn on the petcock and start it up and let it idle,this will clear the system.If you live in a state that requires no emission testing the purge canister system can be removed eliminating the problem in the future.remove the canister remove the bowl vent solonoid on the left side and vent the fuel cap,carb bowls and crankcase into the airbox.After your daily ride always remember to turn off the fuel petcock.if you have any problem with this operation bring it to your nearest MZ dealer.

Jaime Broere
Dealer Technical Services
-8-

Postby phlat65 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:40 pm

did you drain the crankcase AND the sump?
2001 MZ Black Panther
2001 Suzuki RM125 (full Enduro)
Old Hondas- TT500 Ascott, 305 Dream Touring
phlat65

Postby cat-tard » Mon Jun 21, 2004 3:20 am

...just to add my own experience/observations to the (already excellent) info from the MZ tech dept...

I noticed when we did the "break-in" service on our MZ's that there was quite a bit of plastic "splinters" stuck to the outside of the filter-sock-thingie on the end of the petcock that goes inside the tank. ...It SHOULDN'T be able to get past that thing and down into the carbs, but all it takes is a tiny TINY piece of ANYTHING to hang between the float-needle and the seat and then it will leak.

The other thing that comes to mind is that the charcoal-cannister was the FIRST thing I removed from my MZ (Motardina's was not equipped with one and neither are CA-models - go figure?) If that thing is saturated, then that'd be just one more (of a long list of) good reasons to ditch the thing (IMO).

The last thing that I can think of to mention is that the vent-tube on top of the fuel-cap should NOT be allowed to get pinched and (again IMO) it should NOT have one of those nifty one-way check-valve thingies installed in it because THAT will cause pressure to build up in the tank as the fuel expands too.

Good Luck!
cat-tard

Postby -8- » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:30 am

phlat- i drained oil from the coarse filter plug (front downtube), oil drain (left side case) and oil filter opening... cranked it easy once or twice then blew out what i could with a mild jet of air...let it sit overnight until there were no more drips anywhere. i cleaned the affected oil filter, replaced it and refilled the system with petro based oil per jaime b. at mz. i will replace with mobil 1 after about 100 miles (in other words...tonight). if there was another orifice to drain the oil from i wasn't aware of it or i would have violated it also. i also disconnected the purge canister and tee'd the lines back into the air box, i just need to recheck to see if i pinched any lines. i also cleaned the airfilter and reoiled it (never did that before; shame on me). what a nightmare...but thanks to you, cat-tard and jaime (mz) i learned soooooo much. this morning, running about 85mph down the parkway, i prayed i reconnected everything properly... :wink: btw- turning off the fuel valve is a new regime i plan to follow religiously.
"I am diagonally parked in a parallel universe"
-Anonymous
-8-

Postby keithcross » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:32 pm

Dont want to seem to be stupid, biut whats this purge canister look like and where is it. If one is fitted to european bikes then I will remove it anyway.

Keith
Ride it like you stole it
keithcross

Postby phlat65 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:34 pm

if it was on your bike you would know it. Big black cylinder with vacuum hoses on the left side of the engine. I think it is U.S. only(?)
2001 MZ Black Panther
phlat65

Postby phlat65 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:57 pm

if it was on your bike you would know it. Big black cylinder with vacuum hoses on the left side of the engine. I think it is U.S. only(?)
2001 MZ Black Panther
phlat65

Postby Brian » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:30 am

phlat65 wrote:if it was on your bike you would know it. Big black cylinder with vacuum hoses on the left side of the engine. I think it is U.S. only(?)

meant for the cali customers so all the states got those little beauty's
almost the size of a Guiness can
"Brian" 2003 MZ Baghira
Brian

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk