Baggy Carb Adjustment

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baggy Carb Adjustment

Postby MSW » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:34 pm

Hey there carburetor gurus. I've got a dumb question.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've put the tunebike.de carb kit on my Baggy, along with their powerheaders and connector, with a Holeshot can. Although there's noticeaby more power, I've had an awful time getting it to run right (i.e., neither too lean nor too rich). I first put on the header/can only, and it ran very lean (which is what I expected). Then, after doing the carb mod, it's been running super-rich. I've adjusted a few times, but I continue to get a wet, black plug and dark, smelly exhaust.

Here's the dumb question: On the Baggy's carbs, the "pilot jet" adjustment screw on the left side goes "lean out, rich in" correct? IOW, if I'm at 5 turns out and running very rich, I should back the screw out a couple more turns to maybe 7 or so, right?

I know that I should know this (even by trial and error), but I can't seem to get it to lean out, no matter what setting I try, so I'm starting to wonder.

Thanks, and sorry for the elementary question.
MSW
2005 Black Panther

I like my beer like I like my women: cold, dark, and bitter.
MSW

Re: Baggy Carb Adjustment

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:16 am

MSW,
As you've noted my bike's in pieces.
I'm about to put stock carbs back on. The ones I bought from fasrnu off of ebay.
My bigger project is a frame and a swingarm that's not steel.
Mr. Atomic, Hey, BIG congrats on the new member!
MSW,
I'll be out of the area for a moment but I'd be happy to do anything I can to provide you with a base line for the carb issue that we've been struggleing with, way too long.
And looking forward to a stint in the SC MTNs with Atomic ASAP!!!
Highest Regards,
Robert
The slower one
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:51 am

MSW,
Just got dumped, too frustrated at the moment, but look forward to a run though the mtn Atomic lives in. Talk about carbs soon.
Regards,
Robert
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby AtomicSpew » Sat May 17, 2008 1:24 am

Gentlemen-

I'm happy to report that the Baggy has fired up and seems to be running well, despite sitting for MONTHS with the same gas in it and only getting the turn of a the key about every few weeks or so. I did need to blast some WD40 into the choke mechanism at the carb (thank you whoever posted that fix elsewhere), and that seems to have cleared up the bogging-down problem that I discovered back in December, the last time I actually had it out on the public streets to see if she was OK (son was born 12/20, if that give you an idea of what happened to my ride time!). I just picked up some stiffer springs from Sonic Springs, and I need to have my guy go through the front end on it--I think I tweaked it more than originally thought when I parked it into the tree on that ride I've posted about elsewhere on this board, and I want to make sure all's honky-dory before we hit the canyons. The point is, I am MUCH closer to that day. I suspect my shop will be swamped next week with everybody wanting their rides tuned-up before the holiday weekend, but at least I can see a point in the very near future where a Baggy Brigade ride through my hood is possible! The other day as I was walking down the drive to check the mail, a thunderous group ride came blasting around my twistites (Smith Grade). First through was a very quick, lone KTM SuperMoto, followed quite a few seconds later by a pack of sportbike squids. I love it when that happens...

OMC--thanks for the congrats; the little dude is amazing!

Stop, drop and roll doesn't work in hell...
AtomicSpew

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk