RT 125 2003 OIL IN BOTTOM OF AIR FILTER BOX

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

RT 125 2003 OIL IN BOTTOM OF AIR FILTER BOX

Postby welsh mz biker » Fri May 09, 2008 10:59 pm

MY SON RECENTLY BOUGHT A RT 125 2003 GREAT LOOKING BIKE, SOUNDS AND RUNS PERFECT, BUT IT JUST WONT TICK OVER, 1800RPM SUPPOSE TO BE THE NORM, OURS ONLY DOES THAT FOR A SECOND THEN CUTS OUT, AND NOW WHILE CHECKING AIR FILTER WE FIND THE BOTTOM OF THE FILTER BOX INCH DEEP IN ENGINE OIL, COULD THIS BE BECAUSE OF PREVIOUS OWNER OVER FILLING ENGINE WITH OIL AND THEREFORE OIL ENTERING FILTER BOX VIA OIL BREATHER PIPE ??? AND COULD THIS BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE BIKE NOT TICKING OVER ALSO ???
RECENTLY CLEANED CARB OUT, ONLY JUST BOUGHT THE BIKE, MY SONS A LEARNER LOVES BIKES, BUT THIS IS DOING OUR HEADS IN!! ME HAVING PARKINSONS DISEASE DONT HELP IN THE PATIENCE DEPARTMENT LOL SO IF SOMEONE CAN HELP I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE IT!...........HELPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!
BEST REGARDS
HUGH FROM WALES
welsh mz biker

Re: RT 125 2003 OIL IN BOTTOM OF AIR FILTER BOX

Postby TS2Fifty » Sat May 10, 2008 10:15 am

DON'T SHOUT PLEASE, I CAN HEAR YOU!!!!!

Seriously though, I'm not sure if overfilling engine oil would have caused the airbox to fill up but it sounds like both airbox & carb need a good clean out (in particular with this case, make sure the idle jet is not clogged using a bristle from a brush, not wire though.) and make sure once this is done that there are no air leaks in the inlet system.

It might also be a good idea, if you are not sure of the bikes history/prev. owner's competence, to give the whole thing a thorough service.

Hope this helps, I'm sure someone with more experience of the RT will add to this soon enough.

Cheers, Dan.

P.S. And welcome to the forum by the way, good choice! :wink:
TS2Fifty

Postby welsh mz biker » Sat May 10, 2008 12:26 pm

Opps sorry Dan! it was about 5.00am when i posted this thread,didnt realise caps was on,a blonde moment on my behalf :oops: ill try cleaning the idle jet shortly to see if that will help thanks oh and thanks for the welcome! cheers!! :) .......Hugh :smt006
welsh mz biker

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat May 10, 2008 5:20 pm

check to make sure bike is not tooo full of oil
bike may have been on its side running
fuel air screw at 2 turn out
then adjust idle
and clean fuel and carb are a must
this bike uses so little fuel it gets real upset with any bad fuel
ar dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby welsh mz biker » Sat May 10, 2008 11:02 pm

Grrrrrr! now the carb is chucking out petrol thru the overflow hose! is this carb a total waste of time! im close to breaking point here :x
welsh mz biker

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun May 11, 2008 11:28 am

sounds like the bike was running laying on its right side for a bit
clean up the mess and clean the carb ...clean oil from the air filter with carb clean and dry it..
check engine oil and then try to get it to run
if it has started and ran for you
its ok it just needs to be cleaned up and then all will be ok
dave

the problem with a used bike is usually fixing the ...id ten T ....errors id ten T = idiot

what some do to a nice bike is a sin
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby welsh mz biker » Sun May 11, 2008 10:56 pm

yayyyyyyy it worked!! well so far anyway hehehe thanks dan and especially david for helping me out! I Cleaned the filter box out plus filter,changed oil and new oil filter, put 1.2litres of 15w40semi synthetic in and took out about 1.5l of old durty engine oil, so i guess 1.5l plus what we cleaned out of the filter box was obvious previous owner had over filled motor with oil. *sighs* .........as for the carb took that off, cleaned all jets, needles, floats etc and give it a good blasting with the "must have!" carb cleaner,including choke, throttle vales etc........re set adjustments.......now so far runs like a bird, perfect!! my son was so thrilled he was out n gone for hours, reminded me and the wifes bike days! ohh memories :lol: sooooooooooo anyways thanks guys very much, most appreciated!............next task is new sprockets and chain, got all the spares from grahams motorcycles in the uk any does and donts about replacing chain and sprockets ?? ;-)

thanks again
cheers!! Hugh
welsh mz biker

Postby TS2Fifty » Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

Glad to hear you got it running. Hopefully that's as far as the previous owner got in wrecking the thing (my school of biking that, dry gearbox anyone? :oops: )

Not sure if there's any specific caveats regarding the sprockets but obviously make sure the chain's split link is the right way round & the chain's not too tight (not wishing to insult your intelligence, but I have seen split links backwards, inside out & with bits of welding wire holding the plates together before now - not to mention chains so tight they & the gearbox bearings would have been scrap within 100mile!!!)
TS2Fifty

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk