Baghira turn signal help

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Baghira turn signal help

Postby bridgetthemidget » Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 pm

Turn signals are doing nothing, I don't believe I have power to the switch. Does anyone know if there is a flasher relay or what powers the switch for the turn signals, or where I should start. (all four fuses are good) 03 Baghira.
bridgetthemidget

Re: Baghira turn signal help

Postby AtomicSpew » Sat May 17, 2008 12:46 am

Same thing just happened to me ast weekend...right after I swapped out the headlight to an Acerbis aftermarket. Beginning of the day the turn signals work, I cut the wires to the headlight socket, wire-up the new one, I got hi and low beam out of the new Acerbis, but my turn signals got nothin'. I haven't tried to sort it out yet... (Mine's an '03 as well, but I doubt that matters...)

Stop, drop and roll doesn't work in hell...
AtomicSpew

Postby sign216 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:26 am

Bridgette, I fixed this problem on my '99 Skorpion a few months ago. The issue was corrosion on a terminal to the flasher relay. The relay (on a Skorpion) is inside a little black box approx. 2" square, under the seat. After sanding the terminals, coat with a conductive grease like Ox-Gard or Noalox. Don't use dielectric grease, because that is an insulator, and you want all the current you can get.
Hope this helps.
Joe Tamarkin
Boston, Massachusetts
sign216

Postby Anna » Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 am

I've been having a bit of trouble with the indicators on my '96 Skorpion recently too. I don't think it's the same problem as yours Bridget but each of the four actual lights are one-by-one going down with an earth return fault so I randomly lose one or another of the lights... I have to dismantle the light and get something behind the contact strip that runs along the side of the bulb (after taking the bulb out of course) and just tweak it in a bit so it makes better contact with the side of the bulb. While I'm in there I also bend the one that makes contact with the bottom of the bulb in a bit to make sure that's a strong contact, and visually check all the joints between the plastic bulb holder and the wiring of the bike etc Oh for the days when the whole bulb holder would have been made of metal...

The relay connection corrosion thing sounds like it might be the ticket for you.
Anna

Postby bridgetthemidget » Thu May 22, 2008 9:22 pm

I will check the flasher connections like you said, I will also check at the bulb. I assumed that there is nothing wrong with the lights since they are brand new but you never know!
bridgetthemidget

Postby hb7 » Thu May 22, 2008 11:16 pm

The wire loom has 3 connection joints left sig,right sig and ground about 12 inches back from the steering tube. If back trace all the connections, you may find a broken wire in the switch circuit, which was my problem. Not obvious, you need to use a meter. Typically, it's not the switch and the relay
is solid state and very reliable ( mine is ~9 years old and still working).
hb7

Postby bridgetthemidget » Sat May 24, 2008 6:36 pm

FOUND IT! Someone before me removed the flasher relay, the wires were taped and hidden, does any one know if any flasher relay's cross reference from (Yamaha/honda..) that I could get. I don't even know what the relay looks like, I just found the three wires that are supposed to go to it.
bridgetthemidget

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk