1974 MZ 250 TS

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

1974 MZ 250 TS

Postby fmartone » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:05 pm

I have an original 1974 MZ 250 TS. The bike sat for 30 years and a neigbor got it running for me. The problem I am having is that it always fowls the spark plug. Not to mention the charging problems. Are there any MZ mechanics in Miami Florida?
fmartone

Re: 1974 MZ 250 TS

Postby TS2Fifty » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:25 am

What grade plug are you using? I've had no end of problems using NGK B8HS, swapped to a 6 (hotter grade) and has been fine since. (I suppose this depends on what fuel and oil you use though, I'm in the UK and hence get 98 octane fuel. I do however, use cheap oil with no probs.)

As for the charging, if you're getting no charge then suspect dirty brushes/broken springs or burnt out resistor (the little coil on the genny body) If it's charging, just badly then it's most likely the regulator is out of adjustment. Probably advisable to swap to an electronic unit as per mztech's advice, link-: http://www.mztech.fsnet.co.uk/index.htm

All this assumes that you've cleaned all the connectors on the genny, battery and (most importantly) the block under the seat plus those on the regulator. If this has not been done then that's the first port of call, as standing for thirty years will have made sure that the 6volt electrics struggle to cope with the corrosion on the terminals.

Best of luck getting sorted, wish I was a bit closer & I'd have had a look myself. (Course you could always fly me out & put me up for a few days.... 8) :lol: )
Welcome to the forum & to my abysmal sense of humour by the way!
TS2Fifty

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk