Traveller Gas Tank

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Traveller Gas Tank

Postby nhstocker » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:41 pm

I just had my 2001 TRaveller repainted and have a question. When I removed the Gas tank (had to remove the 4 bolts as someone must have stripped the 2 bolts) there were 2 rubber spacers under the tank. Problem is I do not know where they were supposed to go. They fell out when I lifted out the tank. Anyone provide any help. I put it back without them as I couldn't determine where they made sense. Are they necessary. Thanks for any help you can provide....
nhstocker

Re: Traveller Gas Tank

Postby old paul » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:30 am

There were four spacers under mine. About an inch wide and maybe two long. They were just glued onto the frame, but fell out when I lifted the tank. Look closely at the tubing of the frame and you may be able to see the witness marks where they were.
Motorcycling used to be my second favorite thing, but now that I've become an old man, it's moved up a notch.
old paul

Re: Traveller Gas Tank

Postby aah5 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:26 pm

Those 2 bolts in the tank can be fixed easily. The captive nuts are cast in the tank when moulded. I repaired mine by drilling a small hole (2.5mm) down and just into the nut from underneath and screwing in a small self tapping screw which then held the nut and enabled me to remove the bolts.
aah5

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk