98 Mastiff. Idling Hi unless blipped! R-carb suspect!

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

98 Mastiff. Idling Hi unless blipped! R-carb suspect!

Postby daytona » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:58 pm

98 Mastiff Hot Cam, 11to1 piston, 40 over, jetted, pins 3 down, primary set @ 5 out. Anyone! Ever had a prob with the Idle hanging up unless you blip the throttle a few times or advance the throttle butterfly on the parasite carb by fingers? Runs strong and smoothly otherwise, starts rite up. I tried adjusting everything I can think of! Even took the cover off both carbs and checked the diaphragm on the vacuum operated (parasite) carb. The 7mm adj for parasite kick in is ok, no lag when rippin. Man I hate to go into these there is always a kit involved. This has plagued me for a few months now! now I got time with this storm hangin around to fix it. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated for sure.
Attachments
mastiff 002 (Medium).jpg
mastiff 002 (Medium).jpg (71.99 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
mastiff 001 (Medium).jpg
mastiff 001 (Medium).jpg (71.76 KiB) Viewed 1037 times
daytona

Re: 98 Mastiff. Idling Hi unless blipped! R-carb suspect!

Postby daytona » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 am

Took it apart, carbs, did a valve check. "Exh was a little loose" Didn't find a thing I could say was the prob! Float level was a bit too low, 24mm set it to 26. still had the hi idle unless blipped! adjusted the down side of the throttle pull cable and it helped but? I guess i'll have to live with it. ps that FMF muffler rocks. Way better grunt all over than the M4.
daytona

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk