DIELECTRIC GREASE

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

DIELECTRIC GREASE

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:04 pm

Any thoughts...
The pros and cons of the use at connections where corrosion is a concern.
Thank you,
OMC
OLDMTNCARVER

Re: DIELECTRIC GREASE

Postby MuzTruckstuff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:20 am

I use it every time I reassemble a connection. No negatives.
MuzTruckstuff

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:42 am

MuzTruckstuff,
Thank you for the imput.
I'm going through some of the electrics before the Baghira goes back together and was interested in imput, as any technical information about electrical service is very important.
Regards,
Robert
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby sign216 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:52 pm

OMC, don't use dielectric grease on routine electrical connections. Dielectric grease is an insulator. It's purpose is to prevent current from jumping around, especially in ignition circuits where the voltage is high. That's ok for ignition circuits, but for regular connections of low voltage the grease will inhibit electrical flow. Use a conductive grease, like
No-Ox-Id, Noalox, or others. They will prevent corrosion but won't interfere with the current. Find them in hardware stores, in the section for aluminum wiring for buildings. They are used for copper-aluminum connections, which are prone to corrosion.

J. Tamarkin
Bridgewater, MA
'99 MZ Sport Cup
'58 BMW R50
sign216

Postby OLDMTNCARVER » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:08 pm

Mr. Tamarkin,
Great "heads up" there!
Could just picture myself getting ready to dunk the whole bike... :lol:
Regards,
OMC
OLDMTNCARVER

Postby MuzTruckstuff » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:02 pm

I would agree that Dielectric grease is non conducting, however it's use is primarily intended to seal an already good connection in order to prevent corrosion. Concept being that rain, humidity and so forth is prevented from causing unpredictable problems. Dielectric grease, of course, is not intended to "enhance" conduction, but to preserve it. In use on multiple contact plugs it is particularly suitable because of it's very nature. Non conductivity. Secure, tight contacts would displace the grease as they are connected and cover the entire connection with a corrosion proof film. Just because dielectric grease is non-conductive doesn't mean it it inhibits efficient, solid connections. Pick your poison, but I certainly wouldn't use a conductive paste on a multiple connection plug.
Paul
MuzTruckstuff

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk