Please help possible carb issues on my Baggy

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Please help possible carb issues on my Baggy

Postby scholsey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:49 am

Hope someone can give me a little advise, I recently fitted an after market Scorpion Exhaust, connector pipe and end can ..... sounds and looks great. Now the bike seems to struggle a little at the later revs and looking at the plug its very dry and creates allot of popping when you shut off. Also fitted a DB Killer, took it our today and its very black and covered in carbon ..... is this right or do i need to adjust the carb settings in anyway ? only had the bike a couple of month but love it and have a few questions answered from this forum so thanks for that.

With the standard tank like pipe it did perform better in the higher revs but with the Scorpion is more torquey at bottom end so am not going back to the old one !!!!!!!!
scholsey

Re: Please help possible carb issues on my Baggy

Postby MSW » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:32 pm

Here's everything I know about tuning carbs:

1. More air flow than necessary = lean

2. More fuel flow than necessary = rich

3. Grey-ish, or white-ish plug = lean

4. Black w/heavy carbon or wet plug = rich

5. There are jets in each carb (primary and secondary) that regulate the fuel flow, and an air screw on the primary carb to regulate the air flow

6. Going to a less restrictive exhaust will generally cause more air flow and should make the bike run leaner than before

Based on the above, it sounds like the totality of what you've added has caused you to run rich. I would have thought otherwise, as I've never heard of an aftermarket exhaust set-up being MORE restrictive than stock, but again, the above is ALL I know about carbs.

I'd start with the air screw on the primary carb (tube protruding from the bottom of the left-side carb, just in front of the float bowl). There's an adjuster screw in there. In goes lean, out goes rich.

Hey! That's another thing I know about carbs!

Anyway, the final thing I know about carbs is that ALL ADJUSTMENTS SHOULD BE MADE IN THE SMALLEST POSSIBLE INCREMENT AND TESTED THOROUGHLY TO SEE WHAT THE EFFECT IS BEFORE THE NEXT ADJUSTMENT IS MADE!!! This rule has no exceptions.

OK, that's all I've got. Try the above (or any better advice you're bound to get below from someone else), and report back with your progress.
MSW
2005 Black Panther

I like my beer like I like my women: cold, dark, and bitter.
MSW

Postby scholsey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:57 pm

MSW wrote:Here's everything I know about tuning carbs:

1. More air flow than necessary = lean

2. More fuel flow than necessary = rich

3. Grey-ish, or white-ish plug = lean

4. Black w/heavy carbon or wet plug = rich

5. There are jets in each carb (primary and secondary) that regulate the fuel flow, and an air screw on the primary carb to regulate the air flow

6. Going to a less restrictive exhaust will generally cause more air flow and should make the bike run leaner than before

Based on the above, it sounds like the totality of what you've added has caused you to run rich. I would have thought otherwise, as I've never heard of an aftermarket exhaust set-up being MORE restrictive than stock, but again, the above is ALL I know about carbs.

I'd start with the air screw on the primary carb (tube protruding from the bottom of the left-side carb, just in front of the float bowl). There's an adjuster screw in there. In goes lean, out goes rich.

Hey! That's another thing I know about carbs!

Anyway, the final thing I know about carbs is that ALL ADJUSTMENTS SHOULD BE MADE IN THE SMALLEST POSSIBLE INCREMENT AND TESTED THOROUGHLY TO SEE WHAT THE EFFECT IS BEFORE THE NEXT ADJUSTMENT IS MADE!!! This rule has no exceptions.

OK, that's all I've got. Try the above (or any better advice you're bound to get below from someone else), and report back with your progress.

MSW

Many thanks I will try this tomorrow and report back over the weekend ...... now just need to find the Air screw and i'm away !!!
scholsey

Postby daytona » Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:22 am

If its Idling ok that adj won't help your top end problem. The poppin as far as I know can't be fixed with the open pipe? my mastiff pop's and I've been thru the carbs! These seem to soot up the pipe even if running great, U will need to raise the slide needle 1 or 2 clip grooves on I'd say the R-carb. Oil your airfilter real good and see if it seems to help!! Sounds dumb but that will add fuel to the mix, if it does, rejet or raise the needle. Can be done on the bike!
daytona

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk