Skorpion Running Problems

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Skorpion Running Problems

Postby SkorpionTraveller » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi,
A few months ago I removed the carb from the bike to sort out it's sticking choke (sticking on) and ever since then the bike hasn't run properly if not started for a few days - after being started it will take a while before you can open the throttle too far and will instead just die.

After not using the bike for three months due to a broken clutch cable it will no longer run at all once the throttle is open. It ticks over fine (though did take AGES to get it started initially) but as soon as you open the throttle the revs drop. Occasionaly I can give it a quick burst at 4500 RPM but if I try again it does the same thing.

I haven't touched any of the carb settings as was running completly fine apart from the sticking choke until it was removed from the bike. I've double checked all the the inlet and outlet connections for leaks and all seem fine, I've drained the fuel out of the bowl which did seem a bit murky but still will not run correctly. The Spark plug also seems fine but will try a new one just to rule it out.

Has anyone got any ideas as I'm completly stuck!

Thanks,
Simon
SkorpionTraveller

Re: Skorpion Running Problems

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:47 pm

when you install carb make sure the throttle cable is not to tight
my rt125 is very fussy about the slide being all the way down and held by the idle setting screw
it the cable has it lifted any it does not seem to draw new fuel up and send it into the motor (lack of vacuum)
also if it sets a week its a beast to start
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby SkorpionTraveller » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:58 pm

Hi thanks for that David. I've checked that there's a little free play in the throttle cable. The bike starts fine just seems to 'choke' when I open the throttle. I remember that my ETZ125 used to do the same thing intermittantly whilst riding which was dirt in the carb so looks like I'll be taking the carb out again.

Also does anyone else struggle to get the 4 hex head bolts in that hold the tank securing bracket in place?
SkorpionTraveller

Postby SkorpionTraveller » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:29 pm

Turns out it was water and sludge in the bottom of the tank/carb float bowl. Should have checked that first really!!! Now runs better than when I first got it 4 years ago!
SkorpionTraveller

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:07 pm

the fuel we have been getting here in the usa has a lot of crap in it ...
i have to dump the tank on the rt125 about every other month
it uses so little when it runs that any bad stuff shows up quickly
dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby SkorpionTraveller » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:11 am

I think the problem with me is because (1) we get a lot of rain and (2) I haven't turned the tap to reserve since I got the bike 4 years ago so the water that settled at the bottom of the tank filled the carb nearly completely when I put the tap onto reserve! I've also now fitted an inline fuel filter and will empty the bowl on the bottom of the tank/open the carb drain screw more frequently!
SkorpionTraveller

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk