Kickstart

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Kickstart

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:16 am

I`de love to have a kickstart option on my Mastif,i just doesn`t seen right not to!I`ve been caught out(at home) a couple of times with a flat battery for one reason or another,and have had no option but to take the battery off and recharge.(and yes it`s a newish one)I understand earlier XTZs had kickstarts,wots involved "bits and pieces"wise?I bet it can`t be any harder to start than my old BSA B50/CCM without a valvelifter!
breakwellmz

Re: Kickstart

Postby Norman Wade » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:48 am

It IS possible, as there's a picture of a kickstart fitted to a Skorpion here: http://shortfender.schnongse.de/index.php?page_id=8 It mentions an SR 500 in the text, these and the XT 500 were early ancestors of the XTZ and both had kickstarters, so it might be possible to convert an XTZ using parts from these. (I don't think any XTZs had kickstarters, but I could be wrong). I might be worth contacting the website owners for advice (if you speak German or they speak English).
I've no idea how easy it would be to kickstart an XTZ. I had an SR 500 and it was fairly easy, but I once tried to kickstart a Rotax 500 and I thought my kneecap was about to come off!! :smt103
Good luck,

Norman
http://www.mzskorpion.net
Norman Wade

Postby breakwellmz » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:29 am

Thanks for that Norman.I Googled "XTZ660 kickstart",and got-"XTZ660 kickstart oil seal-Tenere 3YF 92-95"amongst other things."The hunt`s afoot" as i think Sherlock Holmes used to say!
breakwellmz

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:42 pm

i have a rotax 500 on a saxon tour and it is a beast to kick start

in fact the 500 rotax is so hard to start the matchless made in the late 80's with that engine and no electric start should
be almost free if up for sale :smt040

i had a r90s bmw and the 5 speed box needed worked on so for about 6 months i had a /5 4speed in it with a kicker
and got it started that way a couple times....and it was also a beast
NO WAY AM I GOING TO KICK A 660 Yamaha motor after that i like my leg attached to my body
dave

if you do manage to get one on a 660 ignition needs modified to be set after top dead center
or when it kicks you back ...we can pick up the pieces of you in an other country or state
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby Linegeist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:12 am

I'm watching this thread with interest, because it's a modification I'd like to make to my own Skorp' David.

Is it safe to assume that -

1. The 660's ignition is set BTDC at rest???? :shock:
    2. The spark advance is electronically adjusted
    3. The redundant and blanked-off hole in my head is for a valve lifter

Ta chaps! :twisted:
Linegeist

Postby breakwellmz » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:28 am

Looking at the r/h casing of the MZ last night,i can see the "vestigial"(?)remains of a kickstart shaft output boss,behind the brake pedal.I used to regularly start my old 500 Rotax MZ on the kick from cold,in order to "save" the battery, no problem.Later on added a flywheel weight,which made it even easier!
breakwellmz

Postby Linegeist » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:43 am

Having just wandered out to the workshop and gazed, coffee in paw, at my Skorp, it occurs to me that I'm going to need one hell of a long kickstart shaft to clear the rearset, brake pedal & exhaust.................. :?

kickstart2.jpg
kickstart2.jpg (59.18 KiB) Viewed 2827 times

I have a sneaky suspicion that Zschopau didn't just leave the manual starter out of the Skorpions just for cost reasons. :( :( :(

The brake pedal will have to be re-engineered and the footpeg refitted so that it folds clear of the kickstart's arc of fire !!!!
Linegeist

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk