MZ TS250 Front Brake Upgrade!

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: MZ TS250 Front Brake Upgrade!

Postby Kruh » Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:42 am

I have thought of that solution as well. But I figured it would require that spacer and cable mount to be welded to the plate. Although, i do not know what type of aluminium the plate is and if it can be welded.

Could you upload a few pictures of your front brake setup. I would really appreciate it.
Kruh

Postby mr_luke » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:11 am

Here it is. You'll have to excuse how filthy the bike is at the moment!

IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1967.JPG

As you can see, the implementation isn't the most elegant, and I would like to tidy it up somewhat to improve cable angles, etc., but it does seem to work fairly well.

If you wanted to do a better job without welding it, I wonder if you could open up the bore through the brakeplate a little way from the outside, and fit a steel bush/extension, either pressed in or threaded? You could include a grease nipple then, like the rear one.
mr_luke

Postby Kruh » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:37 am

Thank you
It is pretty simple and effective.
How is the braking performance? Have you experienced the stock brake, or is this your first TS so you have no point of reference?

I should be able to make a bolt on cable holder without looking too out of place. My only worry is the shaft, or rather the extension for it. Since its sticking out a fair bit there will be a larger force on the shaft and brake plate.
Maybe a neater solution would be to shorten that shaft or buy one from another bike (both seem a bit tricky).
Kruh

Postby dave47 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:42 am

You could remove the remaining 2mm at the rim by adjusting the spoke length, although a dished wheel is weaker than an undished one.
Puffs is right about hubs being deformed by incorrect spoke tension.
Last edited by dave47 on Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave47

Postby Puffs » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:44 am

Following a biased and flawed moderator choice (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed - behind my back & without any justification!), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Wed Apr 05, 2023 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby mr_luke » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:12 am

To my mind it seems to work pretty well. This is my first TS, but as I said before, about 10 years ago I had an ETZ250 Std with the drum brake, and before that I had an ETZ125 Std as well. I didn't find the drum brakes on either of the ETZs as scary as I had been led to expect, but they certainly weren't "great"!

This Supa 5 with the longer arm is a noticeable improvement over either of the ETZs. There are improvements I'd like to make in order to neaten it up - including improving the cable angles and improving the strength of the arm (which unfortunately has been modified to accept the cable in such a way that the nipple is pulled into the slot) - but overall I'm fairly impressed by it: including a couple of rapid stops on the motorway.

Kruh wrote:Thank you
It is pretty simple and effective.
How is the braking performance? Have you experienced the stock brake, or is this your first TS so you have no point of reference?

I should be able to make a bolt on cable holder without looking too out of place. My only worry is the shaft, or rather the extension for it. Since its sticking out a fair bit there will be a larger force on the shaft and brake plate.
Maybe a neater solution would be to shorten that shaft or buy one from another bike (both seem a bit tricky).
mr_luke

Postby Kruh » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:32 am

Agreed, that arm is no good. The cable end pulls on the weakened cut portion and also, due to the longer shaft, seems like it could potentially slip out. The slot method is fine, the original brake uses it as well. However it should've been the other way around (the slot should be in the front). It will require the bottom to recieve a slot as well.

Moving the outer cable mount further back (closer to the original position), as well as shortening that shaft should fix any angle issues.

I do intend on to do the same to mine. Probably cut the shaft and reweld it. If done properly I think it sould be plenty strong.
Kruh

Postby dave47 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:04 pm

zzzz.jpg

Here's another variation, currently on ebay
dave47

Postby R1100purist » Fri May 07, 2021 8:19 am

Do you have a link to the eBay part?
R1100purist

Postby dave47 » Fri May 07, 2021 1:01 pm

I don't. I'm not sure it would fit your 1974 4-speed anyway. Most of the discussion of replacement brake plates relates to the later 5-speed bike. It wasn't just that the brake plates are anchored differently, the hub was also redesigned. I'm not saying it wouldn't fit: I just don't know.
I assume that the brake plate in the picture above is just from a TS250/1 rear wheel. There is a nos one on UK ebay at the moment for £25. The torque arm is probably original, the brake arm looks longer than the MZ one, and the cable bracket is probably home made.
Somebody with the 4-speed would be better able to say how to improve the brake - perhaps shimming the brake shoes as the OP suggests or with the shims available from Ost2rad.
dave47

Postby Blurredman » Sat May 08, 2021 7:16 am

I do believe that last picture is of the bike that someone on this very forum had done that adaptation to.. :?:
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk