Anaerobic Multi Gaskets

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Anaerobic Multi Gaskets

Postby AlanJ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:01 am

Hi All, Here we go, as some of you will have read I have been refurbing my 77 TS 250/1. Anyway after some difficulties here and there the old Mz is up and running, at last!! Now we come to the reason for this post. Over the years I have had various bikes some English and some Japs and the difference in a lot of cases is the gaskets. English usually paper and a fair few Japanese use grooved recess faces with a neo seal. We have all experienced the paper gasket eventually leaks, usually due to the vibration through the alloy surface compressing the paper gasket and bingo, oil leaks everywhere, whereas the neo gasket with metal to metal usually does not. During my refurb I have used the Anaerobic Multi gasket system, no paper gaskets. I have used Delta Adhesives D510 multi gasket. Now the reason for the post. What do you think of the use of the Anaerobic Gasket System???
Take care All Alan
AlanJ

Re: Anaerobic Multi Gaskets

Postby AlanJ » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:27 am

Hi All, I was just sitting here thinking . Did I get the "Question" right, perhaps I should have mentioned more about the "Anaerobic system" Well, just in case. Anaerobic has a definition of active, occurring, or existing in the absence of free oxygen ie. One of the places I used it that's the D510 was the clutch cover. The good part is you can apply a bead of orange on the cover and you don't have to hurry because it only cures under load and without air. Also I must mention that any excess that is squeezed either side of the mating surfaces stays fluid. You can wipe it off outside and inside the clutch housing it melts into the oil without a problem. I must say though that by loosing the gasket you must be aware of the loss of that particular gasket thickness. Incidently, there are loads of Anaerobic gasket products on the market not to be confused with a lot of Silicone products which are not the same. Anyway, I hope that helps a bit.
Take care all Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi All, I put this post in hoping to promote a chat about gasket problems and the way technology may have sorted it and with over 60 looksees I would have thought someone would have a view on the subject, but sadly I was wrong, anyway,
Take care all Alan.
AlanJ

Postby baldeagle » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:44 pm

Hi Alan,
Firstly I do not think you were wrong.I read your two posts with interest and duly noted them.
However I am not familiar at all with this gasket material.I understand that with our old. Bikes there is a greater risk of gasket failure.
I would actively seek out some of this stuff should I need it.
I would like to add my thanks to you for taking the time to post this and would be interested in your findings for the longevity and oil containment also.
Take care and enjoy the fruits of your labours.Enjoy your ride.
baldeagle

Postby AlanJ » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi All, Thanks baldeagle for your kind words. I will tell you I first found out about Anaerobic gasket material while I was sorting out a head gasket failure on my MG TF 2 seater which I bought with the head gasket problem. Mind you I must mention I don't think the Delta D510 con be used instead of a metal head gasket, although most Anaerobics can be used up to a temperature of 150C. As I have said before that the big plus with this system is metal to metal contact and not as with a paper gasket that will gradually thin allowing oil, water, to escape. I must finally mention though I am not an authority on this subject, just looking up the possibilities. Wish you well Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:57 am

Hi All, Just thought I would add a bit more to the mix, just remembered one of the products I used was Elring AFD 2000, good to 150C or AFD 2018 good to 180C, and incidently the Elring Sealing site is really good to see what sealant and what to use it for. Once you know what type, you can look up other companies. Anyway I think that's me lot on this subject.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Postby rcbikeracer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:39 am

Had a look at the site, doesn't recognise my Skorpion and won't show me any sealants !!!!
rcbikeracer

Postby AlanJ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:55 am

Hi, have just put Elring sealant into Google and you get Elring.de or put Sealing Compounds-Elring and you should be ok,but if not let me know. Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:08 am

Hi, Sorry it's the site with (pdf) attached, Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk