Kickstart kaput

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Kickstart kaput

Postby keleto » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:04 pm

Suddenly my ETZ251 kickstart has gone kaput. The spring still returns it, but when you kick down there is no resistance at all and it isn't engaging. Anyone know an easy fix for this ?? If I end up needing to remove the whole clutch cover, what is the best way to lock the crankshaft so as to remove the tachometer worm-drive nut ?

I have a spare engine which i have pulled an entire spare kickstart assembly from. I locked the crank with some wood in the exhaust port to open the nut on that one, but I am sure that is not the approved method ;-/
keleto

Re: Kickstart kaput

Postby AlanJ » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:19 am

Hi, On the upward stroke put a piece of rope in the plug hole. I can see that working, although I must admit I have not used this method myself, only heard of it. Wish you well take care Alan
AlanJ

Postby keleto » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:46 am

Thanks, Yeah I found that rope trick on youtube after I posted here. Didn't have to try it yet because, lo and behold, whilst I was tapping the cotter pin out of the kickstart the problem righted itself, whatever it was. So at least I have a spare gasket in the post now and have replaced the old, rock-hard oil feed pipe and the crappy original cheese-head screws with allen bolts whilst I was down there.
keleto

Postby AlanJ » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:34 am

Hi, glad you have it sorted. Re the kickstart, while I was doing the refurb on my TS I had the cover off to fix the clutch (rust seizure) and as there was rust on the cam plate for the kickstart I took the circlip off and with the thrust washer still with the ratchet I lifted it off, not realising there was the needle rollers underneath. Well you can imagine bloody needle rollers everywhere, anyway, when I eventually put the kickstart mech. together again there was a gap in the rollers now there is always a gap in rollers or they would seize, so I put it all back together, cover in place also. Two kicks and I got the same result as you have just posted. Off it all comes again and sure enough I found another needle on the floor. Put it all back again including the elusive roller and all is well. Now it makes me wonder if you might have the same problem from perhaps a previous owner. Incidently I couldn't find anywhere how many rollers there should be, which didn't help.
Hope you get it sorted. Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby keleto » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:54 am

Oh boy, yeah the bits exploding everywhere thing. Usually happens to me with headstock bearings. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the kickstart issue may have been a one-off due to my kicking at a slightly odd angle (bloody left legged kickstart and rear footrest in the wrong place) but I have a complete assembly from my spare engine poised and ready just in case. I don't think this one has been dismantled much before but if I end up having it apart I will certainly check out that needle race if it is the same in the ETZ as the TS.
keleto

Postby Blurredman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:23 pm

The kickstarts are tempermental in their consistency... Quite often (on all the MZ's i've tried and had), you obviously might have to kick 3-4 times to get it started, but if you're quick you end up with pushing the kickstarter down with no resistence-like the clutch is pulled in. Let the lever return and it will be fine again. Still don't understand how that happens.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 16,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1990 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk