MZ TS250 fuel tank reserve!

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

MZ TS250 fuel tank reserve!

Postby Pat the Jawa » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:05 pm

I've noticed a few comments on MZ Forums that the fuel tank reserve is known for being petty poor. Having gone on to reserve whilst out riding with my wife on pillion and managing just 5 miles before running dry I can vouch that the reserve is ridiculous small - I had to get my daughter to buy a petrol can/petrol and bring it out to me. To remedy this is actually fairly simple in that all you have to do is to empty the petrol tank, remove the petrol tap or petcock having first disconnected the fuel pipe and lengthen the small length of fuel pipe that is situated inside the gauze filter. This fuel pipe can be made of metal in some of the older taps or plastic in the later ones. If it's metal then you can either solder a 30/40mm extension pipe on it (depending upon how big a reserve you want) or add a similar length of plastic pipe that either fits over the end of the metal pipe or is a tight fit inside. If the pipe is plastic then simply find a longer length of similar pipe and fit that. You may have to drill a hole in the top of the filter gauze to allow the new longer reserve pipe to fit through it. The reserve pipe doesn't really require a filter as it takes fuel from higher up in the tank and any dirt tends to sink to the bottom and is picked up by the gauze filter when on reserve. I suggest however that you fit a simple inline filter between the petcock and carburettor just incase as the gauze filter can let a surprising amount of dirt/rust through.
Pat the Jawa

Re: MZ TS250 fuel tank reserve!

Postby AlanJ » Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:42 pm

Hi Pat, Nice one, all the good ones are usually the easy ones.
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk