TS 125 rotor removal

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS 125 rotor removal

Postby Bernardo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:00 am

I'm about to remove the rotor on my TS. I've read on here, and in the Haynes manual that all I have to do is wind an M10 bolt in. It feels really tight, is this normal? also I've read somewhere (can't find it now) that I should grind off the first few threads of the bolt. Is this right?

I've never split a TS before, is there anything I should look out for, or is there a guide for dummies?

thanks

Bernard
Bernardo

Re: TS 125 rotor removal

Postby Malj » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:28 am

Hi Bernard, I've just installed a powerdyno electric system onto my TS150 so had to remove the rotor, it's pretty easy, as you say a 10mm bolt around 100mm long through the rotor which pushes against the end of the crankshaft. If your bolts a bit soft it may mushroom up a bit so will be difficult to remove from the rotor after you've pulled it so maybe take a file to the bottom few threads before you start.
I put the bike into gear and used a soft filter strap wrench to hold the rotor and stop it turning and it popped off pretty easy.

Cheers Mal
Malj

Re: TS 125 rotor removal

Postby Bernardo » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks Mal
the rotor came off in the end. It really didnt want to move after 36 years. I damaged the rotor though, so if you fancy parting with yours let me know.

Bernard
Bernardo

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk