Powerdynamo Taco problem

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Powerdynamo Taco problem

Postby AlanJ » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:50 am

Hi All,
I am sorting out an ignition problem or rather Powerdynamo are, and I must say they have been really good but my problem is how to get a Taco working electronically with this system. I can replace the Taco the Speedo and neutral/ ignition etc. but that's not what a Saxon Tour has so, can anyone give me an idea what to do with this one please. What I am getting at here, has anyone done a manual solution to this problem?
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Re: Powerdynamo Taco problem

Postby AlanJ » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi All,
I have nearly finished working on my Saxon Tour 301. When I bought it, or rather won it on Ebay it had no sparks but a great thank you to Power Dynamo's generosity and help I now have a running 301. The original taco is electronic and I believe runs at 4 pulses per revolution, ie 4:1 where as the Power Dynamo system runs at 6:1. Question is does anybody know how, or where I can obtain a reducer from 6 to 4 pulses per revolution? I must admit it is a bit of a mystery on the electrics when it comes to this sort of problem, so HELP PLEASE. Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:36 pm

talked to a friend he said ic chip 74121 set up to count 4 then shuts off for 2 also uses 74192 chip to do this

hope you got an electronics friend because i use tubes/valves/
check with this company if they do not have something they may know who does
DAVE

http://www.rexs-speedshop.com/
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby AlanJ » Fri May 05, 2017 8:23 am

Hi Dave,
Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, thanks for your info, I will look into it and post if I get a result.
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby AlanJ » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Hi Dave, I did get with speedshop.com but they pointed out that if they looked at my problem it would likely cost a fair amount, and mentioned that the problem they are working on is into £10,000 so, somehow I don't think I will ask them for help. I have asked powerdynamo but as yet have not received a reply. My Suzuki Burgman 650 goes for MOT tomorrow and then sadly for sale, It's just too heavy and as our forecourt is shingle, it's just so easy to drop it. Thanks for your thoughts Dave, take care Alan.
AlanJ

Postby vicar » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:40 am

I reverted to a mechanical revcounter and older speedo, so my 251 now has etz250 clocks. I had to drill a hole in my top yolk to access the ignition key. I prefer the look of the older setup but I had to buy parts but it works now.
If only one bike was enough..............
vicar

Postby AlanJ » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:42 am

Hi Vicar,
Good to hear you got it sorted. I did think of doing the same myself, but you might have read my posts to see that I ended up with 2 Saxon Tour 301's. ! is complete and up and running except the taco and the other is in boxes and I have 2 sets of most parts including the instruments so I will have to sort this problem out or it will cost a fair bit for manual parts although I could buy the instruments nacelle and ign lights for £85 from Turkey. The idea of going for the 2 Saxons was the one in boxes will sell when finished and then of course pay for the other, I hope!!
Anyway Vicar,thanks for your post, wish you well Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk