Rotax 500 Country - switching off the engine

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Rotax 500 Country - switching off the engine

Postby Uralwurzel » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:46 am

This may seem a silly question but the guy who sold my bike to me told me to switch off at the ignition (engine continues to run) then hit the kill switch.

I have done it this way but it has not been ridden much yet.

I have seen other posts today basically saying you can get problems "if you don't use the valve release lever to shut down the engine".

So is there a certain preferred way to switch off the engine? Is the valve release lever what I would call the decompression lever on left hand side, just above the clutch lever?

Thanks in advance
Uralwurzel

Re: Rotax 500 Country - switching off the engine

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:02 am

there is a sprag clutch in the starter system the motor can run backwards for a bit if you turn off with the key switch
or kill on the right handle bar // by using the compression release on the left the engine does not hammer the Sprag
then turn off the key
the Sprag is a very expensive repair and over time you will get longer life out of it

also never back down a hill with the engine off using the clutch to hold you back
as it makes the sprag in to the brake and that is what it does break your pocket book

do not ask how i know ..just look in my empty pocket book
dave

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprag_clutch

as the motor runs and you turn it off with the key it can come up against the compression stroke...
if it stops or backfires against the piston and then it can run the motor back wards you may hear it as a loud bang
even as loud as a shotgun
and it may start but will probably be spreading broken metal parts threw the engine
if a bike has a compression release i always use it to start the bike as well as stop it

also while we learn ...read this for that fire breathing beast you want to ride
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slipper_clutch
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Re: Rotax 500 Country - switching off the engine

Postby Uralwurzel » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:03 am

Thanks David - glad I asked. Guess I will be spending out in future as he operated it this way from 1996 to about 2013!!!!
Uralwurzel

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk