Saxon Tour 301 front wheel refurb

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Saxon Tour 301 front wheel refurb

Postby AlanJ » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:43 am

Hi All,
I have recently had the front alloy wheel of my Saxon Tour 301 powder coated and lacquered and it looks really good but unfortunately the guys doing the job did not stop the coating from being on the disc mounting areas as I had asked. I took the wheel home thinking how great it looked but didn't notice that the lacquer was on the disc mounting area. I took the wheel back to the Company and complained and left the wheel with them over night. It turns out they ground the lacquer off of the disc areas and you can guess what's coming, I know have a disc out of true which knocks the pads off enough that gives too much movement to the lever. I actually woke up during the night and thought of a way to solve the problem without damaging the wheel but of course to late they had already done the job, sadly. The answer to the problem would have been, heat up a chisel and carefully ease away the lacquer. I do wish I had thought it through though. Now I must find somebody with a lathe to give the area a skim. The reason for this post most wheel spraying Companies do loads car wheels but not bikes and it might save somebody from a similar problem.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Re: Saxon Tour 301 front wheel refurb

Postby AlanJ » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 am

Hi All,
Update on the disc run out, found a couple of guys in a small engineering Co in Huntingdon. Put the wheel (with Tyre on) on a drop bed lathe skimmed the disc mounting areas bolted the disc on and dial checked the run out. Great it's within a thou now so good front brake. Really great couple of guys.
Take care All Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk