Twin bi-lux bulbs

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Twin bi-lux bulbs

Postby Blurredman » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:55 am

Hi guys,

After encountering my night rear lamp blowing and not providing much actual red light anyway, I'm considering converting my ETZ 251 (which I have put an ETZ250 round two bulb holder/lense on) into a twin bi-lux system. It can be easily done, and will be a good redundancy plan.

Anyone done it? I think it would be a good idea.. After all, you can't tell if your brake light doesn't work unless you physically check them, seeing as turning a bulb on and off constantly like when braking, is stressful for the bulb and is the most likely time for them to blow I consider it a fun and safe thing to do.

I am wondering however what effect this will have on the charging/lighting system. In the night, with the additional 5w filament and if the brakes are applied at a stop light, the also additional 21w would bring the generator output to an interestingly close line to drawing the maximum output that it gives if one was to have the main beam on and indicators blinking as well, unless one was to use LED bulbs to deter from this issue, but this would also solve the original problem, what with LED bulbs typically having many actual LED's on them.

I just think this would be a fun and interesting thing to do and would also see how the charging system copes. It's interesting to note that the 251 normally comes with a single bi-lux bulb in the rear lamp. It's just.. That was broken when I got the bike and I had a two bulb 250 style lamp hanging about.
1972 MZ ES250/2 - 16,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1990 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Re: Twin bi-lux bulbs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:22 am

i have a cargo trailer i converted to led bulbs in the rear lamps

it was blowing fuses all the time in both tow cars this cured the problem
and reduce the current they draw
leds operated in a flasher circuit some times need a different flasher
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk