Trafficator

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Trafficator

Postby ccluck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:03 pm

My 1996 MZ Country has shed its turn signals - the black elastomer stalks have decayed and broken, leaving the reflectors and housings dangling in an unseemly fashion....

Not all at once, mind you - the fronts gave way years ago and were replaced with aftermarket units bought cheap at some motorcycle shop or another. More recently, the rear stalks broke while on an uneventful ride through the neighborhood.

Seeking to repeat my previous success with TS replacements, I Amazoned up a set of LED signals, much like the front ones which worked so well. These have been connected in place of the OEMs. Sadly, I am unable to make any of the four flash, or even light up, for that matter. And now that I think of it, it may have been five years or more since I last flipped the TS switch - don't use them putt-putting around the property here.

Anyway, I removed the side cover looking for a TS relay - and didn't find anything readily recognizable as such. I did, however, find a black cube with three leads .... with a quick glance at my Betriebsanleitung ( P. 38 ) I found an illustration which points out a Trafficator Unit in that approximate location.

Surely, this must be the turn signal relay which I seek, but what wonderfully arcane name ...

OK, so am I correct that any old 12 V three wire flasher relay will replace this marvel ?
I sincerely thank you for your time and attention thus far
ccluck

Re: Trafficator

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:23 pm

you need a LOAD for the leds they do not draw as much current as a light bulb does
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby ccluck » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:32 pm

I figured on using one of the new-fangled electronic LED style flasher controller units, like this one :

https://www.amazon.com/IDS-Electronic-R ... spcomp_1_3

works on German cars, so it should totally work on a German motorcycle, right ?
ccluck

Postby ccluck » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:41 pm

The Trafficator project continues to challenge my patience and my modest moto-electrical diagnostic skills - the electronic, LED-friendly replacement relay arrived today, and I popped it right into the Trafficator's place - easy peasy.

But lo, upon moving the TS selector switch to either off-center position, all FOUR of the svelte new LED turn signals began to flash in perfect synchronicity. Not what I expected, right ?

I will spare you the tedious details of my trouble shooting efforts, and jump straight to the result - there's something wacky inside the instrument cluster .... unplug that multi-wire connector from the rest of the harness, and the TS's work precisely as they should - plug it in, and all four flash in unison - I suspect it has to do with the TS activation indicator.

Having identified the single wire that creates this anomaly, my path is clear - cut that damn wire and ride around with no blinky "TS are ON" reminder in the instrument cluster. I can live with that ... like I said before, I hardly ever use them anyway.

However, having discovered that it is simple to do so, I am tempted to wire in a switch someplace to recreate this on demand - might be nice to have 4-way hazard flashers sometime or another. All it requires is connecting any two of the "hot" leads together - that'll do it. And I may just go ahead and wire the flasher unit B- lead straight to the battery - that'll give me turn signals or the 4-ways any old time, without the ignition switch being on.
ccluck

Postby AlanJ » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:02 pm

Hi ccluck,
First thing I must say great post I ended up with tears in my eyes, thanks for that. Anyway, had a look on U-tube and the following may solve your problem. all led and put ep27 led relay having problem - YouTube Video for ep 27 led flasher relay▶ 0:17 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXR7soM5_k4
I will mention, I am not an electronic guy so if it's not the answer don't blame me.
Take care Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk