TS 250 chainwheel and 301 Saxon Bing float height

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS 250 chainwheel and 301 Saxon Bing float height

Postby witofthestaircase » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:41 am

I have two questions. Can someone suggest please a source for a good quality ie. in spec, rear sprocket for my TS250? I don't mind if it's Chinese as long as it correctly accepts the refitting of the associated parts. I've owned it for 25 years and have only had to think about changing now for the first time having cleaned the chain and sprockets in the course of an engine rebuild, assembled and forgotten to get round to lubricating it. As far as I can see the sprocket is fitted to the alloy carrier with a press and is therefore replaced as a sprocket and carrier assembly. I'd be most grateful.

My other question is about the float height for the Bing 84 carb of my 301 Saxon Tour. The Haynes manual says 22.5mm. Using the method of removing the gasket and measuring from the gasket face, flipping the carb upside down and measuring from the carb gasket face to the top (ie. bottom) of the floats with the spring loaded float needle pin uncompressed (so the fuel suppply just stopped), I get a measurement of closer to 30mm and changing it to 22.5 will have the floats at a very wrong looking angle and possibly with insufficient stroke left to close the valve. What's the simple explanation please? The bike has become a non starter so I've been going through everything. Thank you
witofthestaircase

Re: TS 250 chainwheel and 301 Saxon Bing float height

Postby Guesi » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:36 pm

Hello

There are some original chainwheels in my stock. But they are not cheap...
https://www.guesi-motorradteile.de/inde ... 0/c/_/_/?_

And the "swimmer" of the BING is made of Styropor or some other plastic material. As far as I know you don´t need to adjust this flat height.
The data you write is for the old metal swimmer of the BVF carbs.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby witofthestaircase » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:29 am

You've confirmed my guess that the Haynes manual float height information is wrong. I'm hoping now that someone has the correct float height information for the Bing carb on the 301.
witofthestaircase

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:26 pm

some riders have been known to call the Haynes manual "the Haynes little book of lies"

i know i keep the one for BMW hidden from friends and enemy's both
Dave
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby AlanJ » Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:32 am

Hi,
Just a thought as you did not mention it, is it your intention to change the rear and front sprockets and chain? Because if you need a rear sprocket then it will be the chain that has buggered it and which will have done the same to the front one. If you don't change all 3 parts then the old one will knock out the new much quicker. I'm sure you will know this about the chain and sprockets, but just in case. Incidently I put in a post earlier that I feed the chain through the gaiters using a couple of foot of white net curtain wire with a slightly opened hook to clip over the chain roller, works a treat.
Have a Great Christmas All, take care Alan.
AlanJ

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk