TS 250/1 engine rebuild

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

TS 250/1 engine rebuild

Postby Ballycong » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

Hello all

I live in the West of Ireland and motorcyclists of any sort are a rarity! Can anyone advise of someone to look at my TS250/1 engine? I suspect the oil seals are shot as it's been standing for ages. Basically, can't start it though basic checks indicate all is well with sparks etc. Would love to get it back on the road and would be willing to arrange transport to UK if needed.

Anyone is most welcome to contact me direct at stephen.attymass@gmail.com

Many thanks

Stephen
Ballycong

Re: TS 250/1 engine rebuild

Postby AlanJ » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:38 am

Hi Stephen,
It might well be the seals and if you want to check then undo the top 2 frame to head mounting nuts allowing the engine to pivot forward slightly then it will be easier to take the carb off. place a piece of tissue over the manifold opening. Give it a good kick over and if the tissue is sucked to the opening then the seals are ok. Of course if it doesn't hard luck, but to be honest it's not difficult to change the seals. Incidently I favour double lip ones but of course it's your choice. Another part to look at is the Air Filter to see that is breathing ok. Just to mention there have been posts about this problem a few times. Anyway wish you well Alan
AlanJ

Re: TS 250/1 engine rebuild

Postby Bernardo » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:31 am

I'm in Letterkenny, so you're a bit far from me. but there's no one in the West who I'd trust to do the job. Seriously, buy a Haynes manual and do it yourself. It's not that difficult if you're methodical and there's plenty of support here

Bernard
Bernardo

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk