ES250/2 rewire advice advice/photos help please

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

ES250/2 rewire advice advice/photos help please

Postby Tropka1987 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:44 am

Good afternoon,
This is my first post here as I could do with some help/advice, I have always had MZs in my life all my life due to my late father having owned them since 1972ish so have always had a huge regard for motorbikes from Zschopau, I have a 1971 es250/2 trophy for around 2 years now and have come to the point where a rewire seems worthwhile due to the only breakdowns I have had are always electrical (and mysterious) the loom I have bought in will be here soon and have also got an original style fuse box for it which is missing currently. I have an electrician mate who egged me on to do the rewire and is giving me his time and workshop to help do it however the existing wiring seems to deviate from factory in the way it has been spliced and made to work over the years to keep it running but other than a solid state rectifier looks largely tired and original other than a few splices and what looks like ring connectors earthing/functioning the loom. The help I need is maybe a couple of photos of a factory bike or close of the earthing and junction points in the headlight and on the frame as I would like everything to be as original and as it was meant to be when it comes to earthing and routing the wires just for peace of mind and knowing once it is done it's done forever as I have no intention of selling bike as I have always wanted a trophy since seeing them in my dad's photos and brochure collections whilst growing up. Any help and advice would me greatly appreciated.
Thankyou.
Kind regards.
Tropka1987

Re: ES250/2 rewire advice advice/photos help please

Postby therealche » Mon May 28, 2018 3:59 pm

The works wiring diagram is quite helpful as it is superimposed on the bike. The bikes tended to be light on earths, relying on everything earthing through the bolts hold the bike together.

http://kfz.freepage.de/mzgespann/6volt/6vplan-ES250.jpg
ES250 Doppelport, ES250, ES250/1, ES250/2,ETS 250, ES150, ETS150, BK350, IWL Pitty, SR56 Wiesel, SR59 Berlin, Troll............ and thats just the German two strokes!
http://thecomeconcollection.blogspot.com/
therealche

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk