LED Indicator bulbs on TS250/1

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

LED Indicator bulbs on TS250/1

Postby rightsideup » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:19 am

I've just fitted a set of LED bulbs and flasher unit to my 6V TS250/1 - I'm amazed at how much brighter they are than the standard ones so that's all good but...
With the ignition on engine off they flash as they should, with the engine running but the headlight off they just stay on. Engine running, headlight on they flash as they should but when the brake light comes on they slow down a bit. Battery is good and charging well - any ideas what is causing this?
'74 Ducati 750GT | '78 MZ TS250-1
In the high latitudes of Finland, in the parching heat of Africa, under the most different operating conditions these motor-cycles run to the satisfaction of their owners.
rightsideup

Re: LED Indicator bulbs on TS250/1

Postby Puffs » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:09 am

What you describe sounds like a mismatch between the load of the bulbs and the flasher. I suppose it's a dedicated flasher relay, but these LEDs draw very little current, yet still voltage dependent. So maybe the flasher circuit is too sensitive. I don't really know. Maybe if you can find a LED brake light, the effect of that light coming on would become less / vanish.

As it works well with the lights on, it doesn't seem a big problem. On the continent it's mandatory for bikes to drive with your headlight on, always, and on modern bikes you can't even switch the lights off.
Puffs

Postby DAVID THOMPSON » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:50 am

in usa 1 thing that causes confusion is on some bikes there is a relay that shuts off the headlamp when the starter is cranking the motor
to improve voltage to the motor
Dave 2002 MZ RT125+1995 Saxon Tour(500cc)
1997 MZ 660 Traveller+6/13/09 WV USA
"IN the end times the IDIOTS will be in charge
of everything"
"I like the road less traveled if it's PAVED!"
wd8cyv at yahoo dot com
DAVID THOMPSON

Location: Parkersburg, West Virginia USA .questions answered MZ 95 up, BMW 1953 to 1979 and ham radio WD8CYV

Postby rightsideup » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:50 am

Puffs wrote:I suppose it's a dedicated flasher relay, but these LEDs draw very little current, yet still voltage dependent. So maybe the flasher circuit is too sensitive. I don't really know. Maybe if you can find a LED brake light, the effect of that light coming on would become less / vanish.

I think you're probably right, it is a flasher unit specifically designed for 6V negative earth use, I'm going to get LED stop/tail lights and see if that helps.
'74 Ducati 750GT | '78 MZ TS250-1
In the high latitudes of Finland, in the parching heat of Africa, under the most different operating conditions these motor-cycles run to the satisfaction of their owners.
rightsideup

Postby Puffs » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:41 am

Yes, 6V -'ve earth, but that's not what I meant. I don't know how all the existing flasher circuits works, but I understand that in at least some designs the current drawn by the lights influences the rate of blinking. For instance, when 1 bulb is blown, it blinks faster, or just the opposite: it may stay on all the time.

Now these LEDs draw far less current than the conventional bulbs (typically just 10%), so that's why I figured you would have a dedicated flasher relay, aimed at use w/ LED bulbs, like this one: https://www.ledlight.com/flasher-cf13-6 ... -watt.aspx. That one's flashing rate appears to be independent of the load.

Anyway, what you have seems to be working almost fine (with the lights on), except when you brake: then the 21W extra load (on the battery/charge system, not on the flasher relay) causes the voltage to drop a bit, and the blinking to become a bit slower. So either stop braking, or reduce the load of the braking light, by changing that one to a LED too.
---------
Sorry, I said "On the continent ...", while I should have said "In western Europe ...". And I guess the even more modern bikes with LED headlights don't actually need a relay to switch the headlights off while starting, as it draws just some 6W.
Puffs

Postby Blurredman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:32 am

Solid state type relay is best I think?

My American import car, the indicators slow down considerbaly when the brake lights are applied at idle.. All incandescent bulbs ofc.
1973 MZ ES250/2 - 17,000 miles - The project! :)
1979 Suzuki TS185ER - 9,000 miles - Mud :)
1981 Honda CX500B - 91,000 miles - Long Distance :)
1987 MZ ETZ300 - 38,000 miles - Sun :)
1989 MZ ETZ251 - 49,000 miles - Commute :)

ftp://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/Vehicle_Documents/MZ_Documents/
Blurredman

Postby MichaelTorre » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:56 pm

When the alternator light shares a function with the blinker light it will mess up your plans rewire it so the alternator doesn't flash to indicate the blinkers flashing.

M.
MichaelTorre

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk