A new found Electronic ignition system!

Mechanical issues and How-to articles.

Moderators: DAVID THOMPSON, phlat65

Re: A new found Electronic ignition system!

Postby Puffs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:45 am

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Hello
I plan to become a millionaire when I sold the 100 sets I have here....

Testing on the road has been done.
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
http://www.guesi-motorradteile.de
Guesi

Postby Puffs » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:54 pm

Following a moderator choice that is IMO biased and flawed (someone posting aggressive personal attacks is rewarded, while my technical posts are removed), I have withdrawn from this forum.
Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby arny » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:39 pm

Puffs, I see what you mean about Powerdynamo, it doesn't advance the timing. However it DOES what needs to be done: if you adjust timing in the midrange, it retards the timing at low and high RPM. The old 2T rule is that more advance favors mid-RPM, and less advance favors low and high RPM, so with fixed timing you have to compromise. Powerdynamo's characteristic means you can maximise mid-RPM advance, and it'll retard it in the low and high ranges, just as the engine wants... well at least enough that it won't knock at high RPM nor kick back at the low ones. :)

About Guesi's citation from German Wikipedia, I've found that article (I can read some German) and the 1 ms is quoted from this book: Richard van Basshuysen, Fred Schäfer (Hrsg.): Handbuch Verbrennungsmotor. Grundlagen, Komponenten, Systeme, Perspektiven. 2. verbesserte Auflage. Vieweg, Braunschweig u. a. 2002, ISBN 3-528-13933-1, S. 301ff. So I guess there is some substance to that... I wonder if the same rule applies equally to both 2T and 4T engines... Someone should look that book up :wink:
Arny
arny

Postby Puffs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:25 am

Puffs

Postby Puffs » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:08 am

Puffs

Postby arny » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:14 pm

I don't think there is much difference in willingness of mixture to ignite between lower and higher pressure. Moreover, it seems the flame front always travels at a speed which completely burns the mixture in similar times, regardless of conditions. There are only two notable exceptions I'm aware of: 1) at low throttle the pressure is low and mixture burns slower; that's what vacuum advance is for (on 4-strokes anyway); 2) at high engine speeds turbulence speeds up the burning, that's why there is advance limit in 4T RPM advance mechanism, and high-RPM retardation in 2T ones.
Arny
arny

Postby Puffs » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:45 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:02 pm

To make it clear: The main goal of our ignition is to end the fixing of the contact breaker timing setting. If you tried to fix the timing for example on an ES 250/2 with sidecar, you know what I mean...

Surely you can gain a little bit more power if you optimize the ignition timing on the electronic ignition, but this was not our first thought...

But feel free to program your own ignition with all the data you can get...

We have a different goal...
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
Guesi

Postby Puffs » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 am

Last edited by Puffs on Mon Apr 03, 2023 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Puffs

Postby Guesi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:37 am

I sell MZ parts,but I am not the developer of this ignition. I buy it from some friends of mine, who developed it.So many of your questions are out of my knowledge.

I think it is a good alternative for contact breaker systems.

But as I said, it was never meant to squeeze out the last bit of power from the engine..

And optimizing the timing requires a lot of time (and money) because someone has to pay the testing.
This would rise the price, and this is not what I desire as MZ drivers are said to keep their money in their pocket :-)
Guesi Motorradteile
MZ spare parts
Guesi

Postby Puffs » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am

Puffs

Previous

Return to Mechanic/Tech Talk